Józef Krogulski Piano Concerto No.2 in B minor

Started by markniew, Sunday 08 December 2019, 20:24

Previous topic - Next topic

markniew

Hi all.
Last Sunday here in Warsaw at the Warsaw University of Music Mr. Artur Słotwiński, a member of our UC society,  gave a first - after over 150 years - presentation of the B minor (the second) Piano concerto by Józef Władysław Krogulski of 1831.
From the concert note we can learn that only the complete piano part survived and was kept for decades by the Krogulski's family. Only recently Mr. Słotwiński succeded to get it from them.
Having the piano part he did make the new orchestration based on other pieces by Krogulski.
I hope that Mr Artur Słotwiński will also publish the registration of that performance on his channel on YT.
Music sounds very attractive with bravura passages and with lovely tunes.
Let us wait.

Gareth Vaughan

Thank you for this most interesting and exciting news. I can't wait to hear it.

Alan Howe

I have added "No.2" to the thread title so as to avoid confusion with Krogulski's earlier E major PC, already recorded by Howard Shelley.

Ilja

Hi Artur, thanks for this. Fine playing, too!

Not wishing to sound ungrateful, but why is there only a fragment of the 3rd movement? Is this because of the completeness of Krogulski's work, or due to your choice not to put all of it online?

Artur Slotwinski

As I said I forgot what to play next - stage fear, black hole in mind :( We tried to start again but same thing - I explicitly explained what we did in the previous post - the alternate version is much worse - lot of shreds and missing notes - I was more nervous and then I just improvised the ending based on what I remembered. I could run and take the piano score but there was no time - I was just paralysed - it never happened to me before, we had to make break before Symphony for orchestra to give them some rest.

Alan Howe

I'm sure we all understand, Artur. And we're grateful for your contribution.

Ilja

Oops Artur, somehow I missed that. Commiserations, and I'm very grateful for what we got.

semloh

Artur, thank you for this. I enjoyed the concerto enormously. It's such a charming work, and the performance matched it perfectly.  :)

Artur Slotwinski

Hello everyone! This is a historical moment - here I present world premiere recording of 2nd Piano Concerto in B-Minor by Józef Władysław Krogulski. Work dating from 1831 in original 1-piano arrangement by Krogulski. I also managed to perform my own orchestral restoration of this work in December 2019 but the recording is in private archives without a right to be published and is incomplete. Here it comes, entire concerto, learned by heart from original manuscript:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv14UoPYgnU