Ulrich, Hugo (1827 - 1872)

Started by Reverie, Sunday 28 March 2021, 19:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverie

Hugo had a difficult start to life losing his father at the age of nine. Aged barely twelve he also lost his mother.

His musical talents were encouraged by influential family friends and eventually he ended up at the Stern Conservatory on the recommendation of Giacomo Meyerbeer, who was then Director General of the Berlin Opera.

His Symphony Op.6, which appeared in 1852, soon made the round of the concerts of Germany, and with his Symphonie Triomphale he won the grand prize of the Royal Belgian Academy in Brussels in 1853. When he attended the public premiere in Brussels on September 27, 1853, he received the enthusiastic applause of the public. From then on, the new composer's new creations were eagerly awaited.

Sadly not many more works appeared except for an opera: "Bertran de Born," and the start of a third symphony. In the final years leading to his death, aged just 45, he devoted himself chiefly to arrangements for piano. Indeed, today, Hugo Ulrich is mainly known for his numerous (more than 200) piano arrangements for two and four hands of various works, including complete sets of symphonies and quartets by Haydn and Mozart in practical home editions.

Symphony in B minor Op. 6 (1852)

1st mov: Largo - Allegro

The opening slow section features the solo clarinet. A haunting minor melody kicks off the main allegro. The movement ends quietly.

2nd mov: Vivace

A lively scherzo with a softer lyrical middle section, again featuring the clarinet.

3rd mov: Andante

Theme with variations using a hymn like melody in 3/4 time

4th mov: Allegro moderato

Harmonically the most adventurous movement and the galloping theme stops and starts erratically at moments you don't expect. A broad contrasting chorale like section acts as a second subject and it is this that eventually ends the symphony in triumph.

Symphony in B minor Op. 6 (1852):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFbbxtao2vc

Mark Thomas

That's great, Martin. Very many thanks for uploading this. I'm looking forward to hearing it. I have an old and very poor quality recording of Ulrich's second symphony, the Symphonie Triomphale, which isn't really good enough to gauge his qualities as a composer, so this is a real bonus.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

I'm not quite sure what to make of Ulrich's Symphony (so far). He employs frequent changes of mood and displays a certain melodic gift which is certainly very attractive - the slow movement is a fine creation, but at only 4:17 it peters out just as it seems to be getting somewhere. The finale is exciting whirl of activity, somewhat à la Schubert 9.

So, how to place Ulrich's 1st? Well, I am reminded of the early symphonies of Bizet and Gounod rather than anything in the broad German tradition. And Beethoven's in the mix too - somewhere.

Once again, we're greatly indebted to the fine work of Reverie in making this fascinating music available to us. How else could we possibly hear this stuff? Wonderful!

tpaloj

After a first listen, the beautiful Andante movement would be my highlight of this symphony. There are splashes of good music elsewhere, like the trio of the otherwise somewhat stiff Scherzo. I found myself wandering and getting lost in the outer movements. Will have to listen again to get a better sense of it overall.

Thank you for your hard work in resurrecting this work, Reverie.

Ilja

I've dropped a somewhat older synthetic rendering of Ulrich's Second Symphony in the downloads section. I'd qualify it as "somewhat listenable" but a warning is still called for.

Reverie

Fest-Ouvertüre, Op.15 (1857)

This is the last orchestral work in a tragically short opus of work. There is supposed to be a third symphony composed later but it was never completed.

If you like a good tune then this Fest-Ouvertüre is for you.  It runs for just over 14 mins. Andante maestoso  followed by Allegro energico.

LINK:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM8iJ81RQ38

mikehopf

That was a most enjoyable Overture, but it only ran for 8 minutes?

Reverie

It is indeed 8 mins. I have no idea where 14 mins came from? (maybe wishful thinking)