Are there plans to mark Raff's bicentenary?

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 18 January 2022, 00:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

I attended the performance in Lachen last Thursday and can say that the baritone Andreas Wolf was exceptional. I believe that I will have time to record it for the forum but would recommend someone else just in case.

Although I reserved a seat at the way front, there was very little space for the orchestra in the church so I was about 18 inches from the first violinist, and Andreas was actually slightly behind me to the right. Strange perspective seeing the orchestra while the soloist is blasting into your right ear!

Miss Rheinhold was wonderful as well, and I am unable to speak for the strings because since I was so close, I could hear the individual instruments and couldn't get a grasp on their collective sound. However everything else sounded great and there was I believe about a 10 minute standing ovation, in particular for the soloists. Significant improvement on the 1987 recording.

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the report Justin. I would have loved to have been there but just couldn't fit in a trip to Switzerland. I'll record it too, and I believe it'll also be available on the SRF web site for 60 days after the broadcast.

BerlinExpat

Samson is on the way!

SAMSON Uraufführung einer Ausgrabung 11.9.2022, Großes Haus, Deutsches Nationaltheater, Weimar
Musikdrama in drei Abteilungen von Joachim Raff
Musikalische Leitung: Dominik Beykirch,
Regie & Bühne: Calixto Bieito,
Kostüme: Ingo Krügle

Mark Thomas

Mark Thomas

The Raff bicentenary reaches South America! At a concert on 18 June in Colombia's second city Medellin, the Medellin Philharmonic Orchestra under Henrik Schaefer will play Raff's 3rd Symphony Im Walde. Herr Schaefer has impeccable Raff credentials: he led a terrific performance of the Symphony in the Swedish city of Karlstad in 2009 and subsequently conducted fine performances of Raff's choral and orchestral works on two Sterling CDs. If you are anywhere near Medellin, this is an opportunity not to be missed.

Justin

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Tuesday 31 May 2022, 19:06Thanks for the report Justin. I would have loved to have been there but just couldn't fit in a trip to Switzerland. I'll record it too, and I believe it'll also be available on the SRF web site for 60 days after the broadcast.

I have uploaded the broadcast to the forum. You will notice the oboist messes up on his short solo for the first movement of "New World."