Alkan Symphony & Concerto for solo piano

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 23 December 2019, 22:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Jonathan

I also thought it was excellent, if you are looking for a recording of both of these superb pieces then I wholeheartedly recommend it.

While I'm here, I'll just say merry Christmas to everyone!

edurban

I was never among the Alkan faithful, but this disc has converted me.  I find myself listening over and over again to Wee's brilliant traversal of the vast, astonishing first movement of the concerto.  Playing (and composing) of the highest order.   If you love Chopin and Liszt, this is for you.    David

eschiss1

Glad to hear.
With a muttered complaint about terms like the "Alkan faithful", or similarly the "already-Medtner-converted" (or something like that, in someone's review of a Gilels performance of Medtner's sonata "Reminiscenza"...) or... but - right. Anyway! :) :)...

edurban

No offense intended  ;D.  The music was just as good 25 years ago when Jed Distler told me I should be listening to it, the loss was mine.

eschiss1

Apologies, I've had a fair number of reasonably similar experiences (and several different catalysts of change-of-heart, too.) Enjoy!

raffite33

It is a very fine disc, indeed.  I would also recommend Jack Gibbons' two disc set (ASV), which contains the complete Op. 39 set and more.  Marc-Andre Hamelin has several excellent Alkan discs on Hyperion, too.  While I'd rate Gibbons & Hamelin just a bit above Wee, the latter definitely has the advantage in sound.  Nice to finally have this material on SACD.