New Violin Concertos to discover

Started by Kevin, Wednesday 25 December 2019, 10:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I'm not the biggest fan of Rubinstein myself. He ramblings very badly IMO and he's not coherent at all with the exception of The Demon. If there's a stellar recording of his violin Concerto I'd like to hear it too - otherwise I'll skip it. Has anyone ever noticed his tempo markings all seem to be marked moderato? Weird.

FBerwald

Strange... to me the Rubinstein Violin concerto is the most "un-rambling" piece of his.

Mark Thomas

Christopher wrote:
QuoteSurely Podkovyrov/Подковыров  (or Padkavyrau/Падкавыраў to give him his name in Belarusian) is FAR outside the remit of this forum? Born in 1910 as you say...
On date grounds yes, but of course we do make exceptions where a work qualifies stylistically. I must say that Podkovyrov's work is, stylistically speaking, a real curate's egg - it's all over the place. It's Christmas and I'm feeling uncharacteristically generous, so I might raise an eyebrow, but no more :). That said, I can't find much merit in the work, but no doubt that's just me.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Kevin

Alan Howe

edurban

York Bowen's violin concerto is a big, wonderful piece, one of his best, imho.  It doesn't hurt that the Dutton recording features fabulous playing by Lorraine McAslan.

FBerwald

I second Alan's suggestion of Dietrich. for me this is a masterpiece. One can see why he was in the inner Brahms circle.

jimsemadeni

Joachim wrote several, premiered Brahms I think, Herzogenberg wrote one and a Rondo for vn and orch, Brahms discounted him until late in life when he said "Herzogenberg is able to do more than any of the others." (wiki). I am not in a position to put myself down for not listening only to "masterpieces".

Ilja

Although not the biggest fan of the format, I have to admit being partial to the concertos of the Hungarian Jenö Hubay, lovingly recorded by Hungaroton and Hyperion. Wonderfully melodic, combining rhapsodic passages with more lyric ones of real depth.

Kevin

Wow, the Rubinstein violin concerto is pretty good hey! I'm quite surprised and delighted by the work and the performance mentioned above. I'll turn to this from now on rather the ubiquitous Tchaikovksy which I've gotten sick of in recent years. Good for you Rubinstein!

Mark Thomas

QuoteJoachim wrote several
I'd forgotten about Joachim. His 2nd Concerto, the "Hungarian" is highly recommendable: a magnificent, large-scale work which is similar to Brahms' Concerto in scale and tone, although it pre-dates it by 21 years.

Kevin

Yes, I've heard the Joachim 2nd. Very beautiful and lovely orchestration , he was better in that department than Brahms.

FBerwald

Try the Klughardt - a magnificent beast with a first movement that defines maestoso, meditative middle movement suffixed by a curious recitative intro a la Beethoven's 4th piano concerto middle movement and concludes with a cheery Rustic dance finale.