Eugen Suchon- Slovak composer 1908 –1993

Started by izdawiz, Thursday 26 December 2019, 21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

izdawiz

I just wanted to bring attention to this composers' Concertante Piece for piano and orchestra ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzvDnq5pQKM) while it's only a little over 6 minutes long, it sure the heck packs a punch! full throttle romantic mini concerto movement Lovely stuff :) I know some of his music may not qualify for this forum. But I'm sure this does.

Alan Howe

Yes: it's a nice, fully romantic piece.

Just a gentle reminder, though: we ask contributors to submit works outside our stated remit to the moderators first, i.e. before posting. In this instance there was no problem; however this isn't always the case.

izdawiz

adriano

Suchon's "Symphonic Phantasy BACH for Organ, String Orchestra and Percussion" is a masterwork. It has alread been recorded twice (on Opus LP and Slovak Radio CD). In 1991, the composer himelf made me a present of this score with a very nice personal dedication. Unfortunately I never got a chance of conducting this piece.
His Opera "Krutnava" is worthwile discovering (also recorded twice by Opus).
There are also four excellent songs cycles with orchestral accompaniment (also on Opus) and his great "Metamorphosis" for large Orchestra (coupled with "Suite Balladesque" on an early Marco Polo CD).

semloh

I agree wholeheartedly with you about the B-A-C-H work.  ;)
I have always enjoyed Suchoń's music but never found anything I thought met the remit of UC. Maybe another listen is due.