Ludomir Rozycki Violin Concerto

Started by brendangcarroll, Wednesday 01 January 2020, 18:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Great news from the article:

<<Wawrowski has recorded the concerto with London's Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, under the baton of its principal associate conductor, Grzegorz Nowak, who is Polish. Both men are hoping that the recording, due out next year, will help bring Różycki to a wider audience and put him firmly back at the heart of the Polish classical canon, where he was in the 1920s and 30s alongside the likes of Mieczysław Karłowicz, Grzegorz Fitelberg and Karol Szymanowski, who were collectively referred to as Young Poland.>>

I'm assuming that this is the same work as that listed at IMSLP as "Op.70 - Violin Concerto (1944, unfinished)".

Revilod

Yes. The extract sounds lovely but isn't this the same concerto...if differently reconstructed...that Ewelina Nowicka recorded a few years ago for Acte Prealable, his Op.70?

semloh

I can't find anything to suggest otherwise. The list at https://culture.pl/en/artist/ludomir-rozycki is repeated elsewhere.

Alan Howe

I think we're dealing with two different realisations of the score here. The one on the Acte Préalable CD features an orchestration based on the piano reduction by Sygmunt Rychert, the conductor on the recording. That by Wawrowski is evidently more authentic, being based on the rediscovered original orchestral score.