Cowen Symphony 4 "The Welsh" at EMF

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 02 January 2020, 16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...i.e. the English Music Festival on Sunday 24th May at 7pm in Dorchester Abbey - with the BBC Concert Orchestra under Martin Yates:
http://www.englishmusicfestival.org.uk/2020-oxfordshire-festival/programme.php

Mark Thomas

You beat me to it! I wonder if this presages a recording? We can but hope....

Gareth Vaughan

I do hope so. Then we would have all Cowen's extant symphonies.

Mykulh

Although Cowen does not rank as high as a symphonist as his contemporaries Parry and Stanford, it is important to have all his extant symphonies recorded as he was a major light in his own time. More important to me in the forthcoming EMF schedule is the world premiere of Delius' Petite Suite No. 2. Delius has been sadly neglected in recent years, so it is heartening to see a "new" work of his emerge from the shadows. Thanks as always to Em Marshall-Luck for her continual championship of the byways of the English Musical Renaissance. By the way, a previous EMF  offered the modern premiere of Robin Milford's Symphony (No. 2). Does anyone out there know if a recording of this work is in the offing?

Jimfin

Excellent news. I have really enjoyed the recent recording of the 5th symphony, a really fine work. I would also like to hear a better version of the Scandinavian, as the Marco Polo one is a bit ropey, to say the least.