Romantic works for organ and orchestra

Started by Gerhard Griesel, Wednesday 15 January 2020, 11:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerhard Griesel

Over a period of some three decades I have been trying to collect recordings of romantic works for organ and orchestra. My attempts so far have produced a mere 50-odd works, of which I give a extract below. I would be delighted if members could help me by adding or correcting.

My norms are that the organ part should be fairly prominent, e.g. it would exclude works like those by Liszt or Respighi, where the organ is just added for effect in the finale, and that the orchestra should at least include strings. Also, obviously, choral works like requiems or masses would be excluded. I do include works that originally may have been composed for other instruments but were then re-orchestrated for organ and orchestra.

Of course, as the discussion below shows, there are many compositions that have been composed but of which recordings do not exist. My list excludes those works of which I could not locate any recordings.

I only collected a handful of modern composers, and of course they fall outside our remit, but included in my original list are Dupré, Langlais, Lovelock and Marģeris Zariņš.

My three favourites are: The organ concerto by Poulenc (which I regard as the most beautiful piece of music I have ever heard), the concerto by Zariņš (Concerto Innocente for Organ and Orchestra) and Respighi's Suite for Organ and Strings.

Here is my very short list (some sung composers included):

Ebenezer Prout (1835 - 1909) Concerto No. 1 Op. 5 (1870)

Guillaume Lekeu (1870 - 1894) Épithalame pour orgue et orchestre (1891)

Hendrik Andriessen (1892 – 1981) Concerto for Organ and Orchestra (1950)

Léon Boëllmann (1862 – 1897) Fantaisie Dialoguée for Organ and Orchestra Op. 35 (1896)

Max Bruch (1838 – 1920) Suite for Organ and Orchestra Op.88 (1915) – Based on his PC

Marco Enrico Bossi (1861 – 1925):
•    Fantasia Simfonica per Organo e Orchestra Op 147 (1923)
•    Concerto for Organ and Orchestra Op. 100 (1900)
•    Concert Piece for Organ and Orchestra Op. 130 (1908)

François-Joseph Fetis (1784 – 1871) Fantaisie Symphonique for Organ and Orchestra (1866)

Eugène Gigout (1844 - 1925) Grand Chœur Dialogué (1881)

Charles Gounod (1818 – 1893) – Some of Gounod's works for pedal-piano have been arranged for organ and orchestra:
•    Fantaisie sur L'Hymn National Russe (1885)
•    Concerto for Pedal-Piano and Orchestra (1889)
•    Suite Concertante (1885)

Félix-Alexandre Guilmant (1837 – 1911) – As far as I know most of these were not originally composed for both organ and orchestra:
•   Adoracion
•   Allegro for Organ and Orchestra Op.81
•   Cantilene Pastorale Op. 15 (1864)
•   Elegiac Marche
•   Fantastic Marche
•   L'Organiste pratique, Livre 2: Deuxième marche funebre Op. 41 (1874)
•   Finale alla Schumann sur un Noël Op.83 (1893)
•   Marche Fantaisie sur des Chants d'Eglise Op.44
•   Meditation sur le Stabat Mater Op.63 (1886)
•   Organ Symphony Op. 42

Heinrich Schulz-Beuthen (1838 - 1915) Reformationshymnus: Symphony No. 5 for large orchestra and organ.
(This new discovery (for me) is a Sterling recording by our own Adriano with the Moscow Symphony Orchestra!)

Edward Elgar (1857 - 1934) Sursum Corda Op. 11 (1894)

Joseph Jongen (1873 – 1953):
•   Alleluia for Organ and Orchestra Op. 112 (1940)
•   Hymn for Organ and Orchestra Op. 78 (1924)
•   Symphony Concertante for Organ and Orchestra (1926)

Horatio Parker (1863 – 1919) Concerto for Organ and Orchestra   Op. 55   (1902)

Francis Poulenc (1899 – 1963) Concerto for Organ, Timpani and Strings (1938)

Ture Rangström (1884 – 1947) Symphony No. 4 for Organ and Orchestra

Ottorino Respighi (1879 – 1936) Suite for Organ and Strings (1914)

Josef Rheinberger (1839 – 1901):
•   Organ Concerto No. 1 Op. 137 (1884)
•   Organ Concerto No. 2 Op. 117 (1894)
(Rheinberger also composed some works for solo violin and organ. I wish someone would re-orchestrate them for full orchestra and organ.)

Camille Saint-Saëns (1835 – 1921):
•   Symphony No. 3 Op. 78 (1886)
•   Cyprès et Lauriers Op. 156 (1919) (Part 1 - Cyprès - is organ only)

Charles Villiers Stanford (1852 – 1924) Concert Piece for Organ and Orchestra Op. 181 (1921)

Charles-Marie Widor (1844 – 1937)
•   Overture Portugaise (1865)
•   Allegro Vivace Op. 42 No. 5 (1882)
•   Scherzo La Chasse (1868?)
•   Symphony No. 3 for Organ and Orchestra Op.69 (1894)
•   Symphony for Organ and Orchestra Op.42 (1882)

Hans Fährmann (1860 - 1940): Simfonisches Konzert Op. 52 (1905) (Organ rather inaudible in the recording I found)

Richard Strauss (1864 – 1949):

•   Feierlicher Einzug der Ritter des Johanniter-Ordens Op. 103 (1909)
•   Festival Prelude (1913)

Josef Suder (1892 - 1980) Symphonische Musik No. 1 (1941)

Jaromír Weinberger (1896-1967): Passacaglia für Orgel und großes Orchester (1932)

I would be happy to send my complete list (which includes modern composers) privately to anybody who is interested.

adriano

IMSLP comes up with more works, in this list also including pieces from earlier periods:
https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:For_organ,_orchestra

hyperdanny

wonderful list..since I am also into organ and orchestra works, may I highlight a piece that I did not find either in mr.Griesel's list ( maybe it's in the "complete" list which is alluded to?) nor in the list kindly provided by hadrianus?
it's the Symphony n.4 by Johann von Herbeck (1831-1877), who conducted Schubert's 8 premiere performance.
I would say it's more of a symphony "with organ" in Saint-Saens' vein, rather than "for organ and orchestra" like Widor's.
Kind of a more austere (but not dour) Romantic piece. (von Herbeck was also a Bruckner advocate, and I think it shows)
it's available on  a hybrid SACD (Hamburger Symphoniker, Martin Haselbock) that I enjoy very much.

Richard Moss

Couldn't recall the composer's name yesterday, otherwise I'd have replied sooner.  Came to me this morning, so just to let yo know (in case you don't already) that there is quite a nice organ concerto (Op. 5, 1870) by Ebenezer PROUT (1835 - 1909).

cheers

Richard

eschiss1

For those interested, that IMSLP search only turns up works tagged as for organ and full orchestra; you need another link for works for organ and strings. You can further refine such searches for composers and/or works composed approximately in the Romantic period, always assuming they were so described properly when uploaded (so goes, though.)

giles.enders

I very much enjoyed looking through this list.  I first came across a work for organ and orchestra in my teens, it was Saint-Saens symphony No.3 and was being played in a record store. I went home and 'borrowed' the money to buy the record. With reference to the ISMLP list, there is rather a lot of Handel!  Nuff said. I hope members will be able to double the length of the list.

Gerhard Griesel

Thanks to all who have replied so far, and for the kind remarks. I have corrected an error and added one more work. Next step is to check the suggestions you have made.

Reverie

eschiss1

Zeimeta

Works that have not been mentioned yet in the thread or in the IMSLP list:

Barber - Toccata festiva
Janacek - Taras Bulba (not a soloistic role for the organ but present in some movements)

Ilja

Allow me to add Joseph Foerster's Fourth Symphony in C minor from 1905 and Sergey Bortkiewicz's Third Piano Concerto (also in C minor) from 1927, both of which have an organ part in the final movement.

tpaloj

Edward Scheve's (1865-1924) Piano Concerto also features an organ part in its finale, though going by your rule of
QuoteMy norms are that the organ part should be fairly prominent, e.g. it would exclude works like those by Liszt or Respighi, where the organ is just added for effect in the finale
it probably wouldn't count. Wanted to mention it in case anyone thought to ask as the piece was discussed on this forum some time ago.

The finnish composer Armas Maasalo (1885-1960) appears to have composed a few organ concertante works – they would probably make good company in your list– but I have to find out more precise info first... his choral works and songs are well known in Finland but it's hard to find information or scores of his other repertoire.

Gerhard Griesel

Your responses have prompted me to do some new searches and I have managed to add another eight works to my collection (I added them to the list above). Especially useful was a search on Presto Classical. This also made me aware of a surprisingly large number of modern compositions in this genre, which I don't collect. Reverie mentioned the Moskowski Suite No. 2, which is interesting, but I did not manage to find any recording.

Tapiola

Dubois's Fantaisie Triomphale may be addictive at times. Such an uplifting and sunny work!

tpaloj

I came across this book [Orchester-literatur-katalog : Verzeichnis von seit 1850 erschienenen Orchester-werken] by the German musicologist Wilhelm Altmann... there happens to be a section about works for Organ and orchestra published between 1850-1919. There are a few pieces not mentioned in your opening post which might prove interesting to look further into.

Luckily this book has been digitized. See pages 196-97: https://archive.org/details/orchesterliterat00altm/page/196/mode/2up