Romantic works for organ and orchestra

Started by Gerhard Griesel, Wednesday 15 January 2020, 11:57

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Thanks. Some of those works I've only otherwise encountered because someone uploaded them to IMSLP (the Degner, eg.)

eschiss1

You list Strauss' Feierlicher Einzug, TrV 224 (Op.103???) of 1909. This is for "12 Trumpets in E♭, 3 Solo Trumpets in E♭, 4 Horns in E♭, 4 Trombones, 2 Tubas, Timpani", no organ in sight and also no strings as you ask. I don't think it belongs on your list... (it's had many arrangements, some of which may involve organ.)

Alan Howe

eschiss1

may I be picky and suggest Strauss/Reger not Strauss be used as it is an arrangement?... Still strings are not involved despite his request (winds- blechblaser in fact (brass iirc), timpani & organ)

Alan Howe

Well, to be accurate it would be Strauss/Reger, as arranged by Johannes H. E. Koch:
https://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Koch-Johannes.htm

Anyway, let's move on...

Jonathan

Much earlier in the thread, it was stated that Liszt wasn't going to be included however there are a few arrangements of his works for organ and orchestra, as recorded on this CPO disc: www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8035948--franz-liszt-organ-arrangements - would these count?

eschiss1

I'd add Liszt's acquaintance(iirc) Friedrich Lux, whose Op.80 is a choral symphony published in the late 1890s "Durch Nacht zum Licht for organ, strings, 3 trumpets and timpani (1896) (in an edition?...) for organ, strings, 3 trumpets and timpani.)" (a couple of libraries, including Pancras, have this.)

Rainolf

Recently published were two works for orchestra with organ by Gerhard von Keußler:

Symphony in D minor

Praeludium solemne

https://www.laurentius-musikverlag.de/musik-des-20-21-jahrhunderts/gerhard-von-keu%C3%9Fler/

The Symphony (ca. 30 minutes), composed in 1925, consists of six parts, resembling the traditional four movements, and played without a break (Introduction-Allegro-Andante-Scherzo-Finale-Epilogue). The organ is used not very often in this work. At different moments the orchestra pauses, and the organ makes a call into the silence. It functions like a extraterritorial instrument.

The Prelude (ca. 15 minutes) is a fantasy over the gregorian easter sequence "Victimae paschali laudes", which develops motifs from this melody in a densely worked contrapuntal style. Keußler wrote it during his term as Music Director of Melbourne cathedral in 1934 as a festival piece for the National Eucharistic Congress of Australia in 1934. The organ has an important role as a fully integrated part of the orchestra, but is not used like a concerting solo instrument. 

Both pieces look very interesting in the scores. They were not published in the composer's lifetime and are still awaiting their first modern performance and recording.

Gerhard Griesel

QuoteI don't think you mention a splendid Symphony in G minor (1936-37) by Percy Whitlock (1903-1946). It is written in a highly romantic style with prominent organ:
I must thank joelingaard for making me aware of this work by Whitlock. It is indeed composed in romantic style. I have confused this composer with the similarly named William Lovelock (1899 - 1986), who also wrote an organ-orchestra work Concert Symphony for Organ and Orchestra, which is a modernistic work.
The recording of Whitlock's Symphony on YouTube, unfortunately, is not of good quality sound, and it would be tremendous if the BBC Welsh Symphony Orchestra could re-issue this recording. I was unable to listen to the alternative Jackson recording on the internet, but apparently it is not so good as the BBC one, according to one YouTube commentator.

giles.enders

A few more for the list:

Claudius H Couldery  1835-1919  Andante Religioso for organ, harp and orchestra

Benjamin Dale  1885-1943  Fantasia (concertstuck) for organ and orchestra  1904

Harriett Claiborne Dixon  1879-1928  'Four love Complaints' for organ and orchestra 

Alfred Hale  1875-1960  Elegy in C sharp minor  Op.13 for organ, strings and drums  Pub. by Lengnick

Basil Harwood
  1859-1949  Concerto for organ and orchestra  in D major  Op.24  Pub. by Novello

Alfred King  1837- ?  Coronation March for organ and orchestra  Pub. by Ashdown

Armas Maasalo  1859-1949  Organ concerto in D major Op24

Tiomi Penttinen  1885-1960 Suite for organ and orchestra

Ebenezer Prout  1835-1909  Concerto No.1 for organ and orchestra  Op.5.(mantioned above) and  Concerto No.2 in E flat major  for organ and orchestra  Op.35

Reginald Steggell  1867-1938  Concertstuck for organ and orchestra   Pub. by Breitkopf

Herbert Weatherly  1877-? Sarsum Corda  for organ, strings and drum  Op.1

Also for organ only ? 

John Charles Ward  1835-1919  'Nautical Symphony' in 4 movements

dmitterd

Quote from: Gerhard Griesel on Saturday 16 May 2020, 17:26
QuoteI don't think you mention a splendid Symphony in G minor (1936-37) by Percy Whitlock (1903-1946). It is written in a highly romantic style with prominent organ:
I must thank joelingaard for making me aware of this work by Whitlock. It is indeed composed in romantic style. I have confused this composer with the similarly named William Lovelock (1899 - 1986), who also wrote an organ-orchestra work Concert Symphony for Organ and Orchestra, which is a modernistic work.

Might I beg to offer an alternative opinion of William Lovelock's Sinfonia Concertante? It has long been a favourite of mine - I think it is highly late-Romantic in nature. Anyone curious can listen to the only available recording here. I certainly think it is a neglected masterpiece. Though in manuscript, I have permission from his descendants to create a performing edition.

cheers,
Daniel