Frederick Septimus Kelly: Piano Music

Started by 4candles, Wednesday 29 January 2020, 13:39

Previous topic - Next topic

4candles

Anyone who is a keen follower of the Toccata Classics catalogue will know of a forthcoming release of piano music by 'F.S. Kelly', so called on their 'Pipeline' page. The release includes the composer's 12 Studies, Op.9 and 24 Monographs, Op.11.

Some interesting background information to the recording can be found on pianist Alex Wilson's webpages here.

4c

eschiss1

Thanks! Other music of his has been discussed in various threads very recently but I think this one has been missed.

Sharkkb8

Alan Howe

Amazon.co.uk are listing it, but as yet not with a release date.

4candles

Sharkkb8

I am on Toccata's email notification list, and just received this email, below, announcing a "virtual launch" of this Kelly piano recording.  (As it's not an offer to a paid membership group or anything like that, I'm assuming Toccata would not have a problem with my spreading this around, I would think they'd encourage it).  Problem is, I can't quite make out what they are stating here.  We of course are now living in a world in which Zoom presentations and other video conferencing sessions are becoming routine, but I don't quite understand what a "CD virtual launch" means.  Are they going to broadcast the music?  Or interview the pianist?  Both? Neither?  When I click the link, I simply get an error message, others may be able to click through to something.  Perhaps it's just me, but this all seems a little muddy.

Forgive the short notice, but you may like to join us online tomorrow, Saturday, 6 June, for a virtual CD launch – of Toccata Classics TOCC 0524, piano music by Frederick Septimus Kelly. The Australian pianist Alex Wilson is launching his recording of the complete Kelly Studies and Monographs in a virtual event via Zoom. It's free, and you can register for it at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fskelly-piano-music-cd-launch-tickets-106562699904. The time is 11am in the UK, to allow for Kelly's Australian admirers join us – it will be 8pm for them.

Kelly's Twelve Studies and 24 Monographs are his responses to the Chopin and Skryabin sets of Études and Preludes, and were finalised just before his death in the Battle of the Somme in 1916. Dedicated to important figures in Kelly's like – the pianist Leonard Borwick, his closest friend, and Sir Charles Harford Lloyd, his teacher at Eton – they are the first significant works in the Australian virtuosic piano repertoire. You can sample them on the Toccata Classics website by clicking here.

I hope to see you on line.

Sharkkb8

*update*    ;D ;D

It appears that Toccata's link in my last post has been fixed, it now takes you to a page which describes much more clearly what this is all about.  Pianist Alex Wilson writes this, below:  (again, I am taking the liberty of assuming that all concerned would appreciate this being as widely disseminated as possible)

My CD of piano music by the Australian/British composer, pianist, rower and WW1 hero Frederick Septimus Kelly is to be released on the Toccata Classics label on June 5th. To celebrate I am hosting a free online launch on Zoom at 11AM GMT on Saturday June 6th, in which I will play some of the music live, talk a little about the composer and his influences, and about my own relationship with 'Sep' and his music. You will also have the opportunity to ask me questions about 'Sep', his music and my CD.
This event is open to all and has been scheduled to be accessible to as many as possible across the globe.
Once you have completed your registration for the launch (deadline 9am on June 6th) I will send out an email with the log in details so you can access the event via the Zoom app on your computer, laptop, tablet or phone.
I look forward to seeing you then!
www.alexwilsonpianist.com

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fskelly-piano-music-cd-launch-tickets-106562699904

Sharkkb8

(......and 11:00am GMT is the middle of the night for me, so I look forward to reviews from others on this one!)

Mark Thomas