News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Saint-Saëns 2021

Started by Matt, Saturday 08 February 2020, 20:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

2021 will be the 100th birthday of Saint-Saëns' death. The next season will be an opportunity to hear some unsung works by this great French composer. Some operas are planned :

- Phryné (in Rouen and Paris, with Florie Valiquette, Patrick Bolleire and Anaïs Constans)
- Déjanire (with Véronique Gens, Chantal Santon-Jeffery and the Bayerischer Rundfunk Orchester)

Moreover, according to the website "Société Camille Saint-Saëns" :

- La princesse jaune (in Nantes)
- Les barbares (in Leipzig)
- Frédégonde (in Dortmund)

TerraEpon

There's still a huge number of, as far as I know, unrecorded choral and other vocal works yet to be recorded. A bunch of incidental music too (the recent Naxos release had some music from Andromaque, unsure how much of what he wrote it was...)

There's tons of instrumental music that's listed in the thematic catalog, though how much exists beyond a fragment (or even just an incipit) I dunno.

Jonathan

There are two volumes (so far) detailing Saint-Saens manuscripts by Sabina Teller Ratner, however these books are extremely expensive and I doubt libraries would have a copy (or even find one via the interlibrary lending scheme). I believe these books are full of details of unknown and unplayed works.

TerraEpon

Yeah, that's the 'thematic catalog' I was referring to. A lot of libraries DO have copies actually -- mostly universities granted --  in the US if your library is part of the program, you can Interlibrary Loan them, which I have done. Unfortunately as comprehensive as her books are, they also to a point are a bit vague on some details about things such as how performable a work really is -- she mentions measures but that could be cases where like, there's a melody line or whatever (as well as on if there are composer-made piano reductions of vocal music)

Jonathan

Thanks for that TerraEpon, I doubt our little library here in Yorkshire (UK) would have the faintest idea how to get copies!

Christopher

Quote from: Matt on Saturday 08 February 2020, 20:36
2021 will be the 100th birthday of Saint-Saëns' death. The next season will be an opportunity to hear some unsung works by this great French composer. Some operas are planned :

- Phryné (in Rouen and Paris, with Florie Valiquette, Patrick Bolleire and Anaïs Constans)
- Déjanire (with Véronique Gens, Chantal Santon-Jeffery and the Bayerischer Rundfunk Orchester)

Moreover, according to the website "Société Camille Saint-Saëns" :

- La princesse jaune (in Nantes)
- Les barbares (in Leipzig)
- Frédégonde (in Dortmund)

Will these be recorded also or "just" performed?

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteI doubt our little library here in Yorkshire (UK) would have the faintest idea how to get copies!

Don't knock the UK lending library system - inter-library loan usually works in my experience, Jonathan. I recommend giving them a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Alan Howe

I agree with Gareth. I managed to order in a book from the US using the system - although I had to read it in the library!

Matt

Christopher, as Phryné is supported by Palazzetto Bru Zane, I suppose that a recording is scheduled. About Déjanire, I suppose that Bru Zane is also involved (but we will have to wait for a confirmation in the next months). Concerning the other works, I have no idea or information.

By the way, I have forgotten two other events :
- the release in CD of Le timbre d'argent
- Henry VIII (in Brussels with Véronique Gens, Enguerrand de Hys and Nora Gubisch)

Ebubu

Yes, Phryne will be recorded, and performed in Paris (concert version) and most probably a stage production in Rouen.

Christopher

Quote from: Matt on Sunday 09 February 2020, 20:11
Christopher, as Phryné is supported by Palazzetto Bru Zane, I suppose that a recording is scheduled. About Déjanire, I suppose that Bru Zane is also involved (but we will have to wait for a confirmation in the next months). Concerning the other works, I have no idea or information.

This is encouraging Matt!  Obviously Fredegonde and Dejanire would be of most interest as there are no available complete recordings (AFAIK), though excerpts of both are available.

mjmosca

That Fredegonde and Dejanire may finally appear with complete recordings is great news. The YouTube excerpts of Fredegonde illustrate the beauty and power of the music. And the only music that I know of from Dejanire is found in Saint-Saens' earlier symphonic poem, La jeunesse d'Hercule - the rest is legendary- I have to investigate getting the excerpts that Christopher indicates [thank you for mentioning]. I am hoping to hear of more performances in the concert hall- and not only of the popular works, but more chamber pieces, and the tremendous legacy of instrumental music.

MartinH

Heck, I'd be happy just to hear the so-called popular works. Where I'm located his beautiful music has all but vanished from concert programs. Haven't heard Danse Macabre, the Organ Symphony, any of the violin or piano concertos in years! Another composer heading to the Unsung pile I fear, along with Franck. I heard the Bassoon Sonata at a recital recently, but that's about it.

eschiss1

I guess it depends on where you live?... London has at least 3 concerts including his music next month, for example, including his 2nd piano trio on March 6 @ Regent Hall. (And last year Stephen Hough did concerto no.5 - April 10, London Phil.) New York City , also 3 in March including the first cello concerto on March 17. Etc....

Jonathan

Here in York last year we had the 3rd symphony and the 2nd piano concerto, in the same programme.  Not sure there is as much this year though.