Parry oratorio "Judith" - Chandos recording

Started by Sharkkb8, Sunday 09 February 2020, 02:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

Quote from: Martin Eastick on Tuesday 22 January 2019, 13:26
....will certainly be first in the queue to buy the the CD's when available!

Picking up where Jan-2019 thread left off.....Chandos recording now announced on Presto, Amazon & Apple's Music app (for Feb 28 or March 6 release, depending on merchant below).

Blurb:  Recorded after the first London performance for over 130 years, Parry's neglected oratorio here appears on disc for the very first time. Having been commissioned by the Birmingham Festival, Parry decided to combine the Old Testament stories of Manasseh and Judith. A good deal of the libretto was provided by Parry himself, who took other texts from the biblical books of Isaiah, Psalms, and Judith. Having originally conceived the work in four acts, Parry condensed it into two. Judith was premiered by Richter in Birmingham in August 1888, and it consolidated Parrys reputation as a choral composer, numerous performances following in Edinburgh and in London. Although popular in his lifetime, Judith fell into obscurity after Parrys death.

Presto:  https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8736879--parry-judith

Amazon UK:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parry-Festival-Players-Kathryn-Waddington/dp/B082PPZTVG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=judith+parry&qid=1581215525&s=music&sr=1-1

Amazon USA:  https://www.amazon.com/Judith-Sarah-Fox/dp/B082PPZTVG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=judith+parry&qid=1581215609&s=music&sr=1-1

Apple Music:   https://music.apple.com/us/album/parry-judith/1497578250

Alan Howe

May I query why this recording uses a chamber orchestra? I'm not convinced by the relatively small-scale sound of the LMP here.

tappell

As a long-time admirer of Parry's music, I had long hankered after a full scale release of Judith. But I agree it is very disappointing that a chamber orchestra was used here, when the work is demands a full orchestra. Perhaps cost was a factor.

Alan Howe

It's all very disappointing. If it's worth doing, it's surely worth doing properly.

Mark Thomas

I hadn't realised that was the case, and it's most disappointing. I can't think of any reason other than cost either.

khorovod

As I understood it, the recording stems from the conductor's interest in and revival of the piece rather than the label took it upon themselves to record it but decided they'd do it on the cheap. In which case we should probably be grateful to Chandos for taking the opportunity to add this to their catalogue, as well for Mann's advocacy of the work in the first place. Of course, I could be wrong but either way I am grateful it is now on disc.

The live performance last year seems to have earned good reviews and the LMP are hardly some tiny, HIP scratch band. They have made some fine recordings when you would hardly guess they were a chamber orchestra (a loose designation anyway)

It would be lovely, I agree, if every unsung orchestral work could be recorded by the Vienna Philharmonic but at a time when people are lying on trollies in British hospital corridors for want of beds and sleeping on the streets of our towns and cities, perhaps we should appreciate what we have a little more... ::)

Martin Eastick

Having been at the concert at the RFH last year, I have to say that although I was initially disappointed at the size of the orchestra upon arrival, I became pleasantly surprised as the performance progressed and did not feel that it impinged on my enjoyment of the evening's proceedings, which were, IMHO, eminently successful and well-received by those present. Obviously, in an ideal world, a larger orchestra may be desirable, but the LMP gave a good account of themselves, which hopefully will be reflected in the recording, and I am most grateful for the opportunity to hear this rather excellent work again!

Mark Thomas

Fair enough, Martin. An eye- (or ear-)witness account is rather reassuring.

Alan Howe

Fair enough indeed. But this is a recording made for repeated listening...

QuoteIt would be lovely, I agree, if every unsung orchestral work could be recorded by the Vienna Philharmonic

That, of course, is neither what I said nor what I implied. I merely queried the appropriateness of using the LMP (a fine body, I agree) rather than a full-sized orchestra.

Quotebut at a time when people are lying on trollies in British hospital corridors for want of beds and sleeping on the streets of our towns and cities, perhaps we should appreciate what we have a little more...

I'd appreciate it a little more if recordings were made using appropriate forces. This isn't the first example in recent months - Stanford's 'The Travelling Companion' was similarly affected.

I live in a small seaside town with a myriad of visible social problems and local health services that are stretched to the limit to cope with them. I can confirm that I am extremely appreciative of the good things in my own life and am grateful for them.

khorovod

I  see you edited your previous post quite considerably.  ::)

Alan Howe

...as is my right, of course. I was finding it hard to see the connection between needing a larger orchestra and appreciating what we have a little more, so I had to re-think my response. I was merely querying the use of the LMP in the recording of a Parry oratorio. I mean, would the LMP be called upon for a recording of Gerontius? Seems a perfectly reasonable objection to me...

khorovod

Given the editing of posts ex post facto and the selective deletion of posts by the moderators, I don't feel continuing with this discussion is going to be productive or - given the circumstances  - worth my energy. It should not be a requirement  to take screenshots every time you post on a forum.*

I'll bid you good night, Alan.

* Edit: But thankfully,  based on previous observations of this site, I have. I wonder how such dishonesty is allowed on here? I've not been abusive , I have broken no rules, I have been more respectful than the moderator who has selectively revised this whole discussion.

In fact I'm not aware I have ever been abusive, disrespectful or broken any  forum rules or guidelines. Mark? Semloh?

Alan Howe

The problem, frankly, was how to respond to a post with such a strange argument, ranging from mention of the  Vienna Philharmonic to a call to appreciate what we have a little more.

Perhaps if we could stick with the issue, i.e. whether the orchestra used here is adequate to the task, we could have a more profitable discussion - especially as this isn't the first instance of such a failing in recent months.

QuoteAs I understood it, the recording stems from the conductor's interest in and revival of the piece rather than the label took it upon themselves to record it but decided they'd do it on the cheap.

I don't understand this sentence, sorry. Could be me. Are you saying that Chandos took it on because it meant doing it on the cheap?

khorovod

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 26 February 2020, 23:53
The problem, frankly, was how to respond to a post with such a strange argument, ranging from mention of the  Vienna Philharmonic to a call to appreciate what we have a little more.

Perhaps if we could stick with the issue, i.e. whether the orchestra used here is adequate to the task, we could have a more profitable discussion - especially as this isn't the first instance of such a failing in recent months.

Had you not deleted my posts where I replied and clarified what I meant you could return to them and maybe you would understand better where I was coming from.

Gareth Vaughan

While I understand Alan's fears, I think it might be sensible for all of us to reserve judgement until we have heard the recording - properly, I mean, because we all know that snippets on sellers' websites can sometimes be misleading in terms of sound quality (they shouldn't be, of course, but the fact is that they sometimes are).