Lindpaintner’s ballet ‘The Brasilian Ape’ from Naxos

Started by edurban, Monday 10 February 2020, 17:42

Previous topic - Next topic

edurban

No, you read that right.  The conductor Dario Salvi, currently working his way through the vast expanses of Auber's overtures and intermezzi for Naxos, will record Lindpaintner's 4 act 'idealische ballet' 'Danina, oder Joko, der Brasilianische Affe' for the same label in March.  The orchestra is the Prague Philharmonic, according to the conductor's website (to which I was directed by a Rob Maynard review on Musicweb International.). The ballet dates from 1826, and featured choreography by Filippo Taglioni, father of the celebrated ballerina Marie Taglioni.  Filippo was also the choreographer of the original La Sylphide and the ballet of the ghostly nuns in Meyerbeer's Robert le Diable.  Lindpaintner's ballet was successful enough to be published in piano score, though how much of the 4 acts was represented I could not say.  As an admirer of Il Vespro Siciliano, which contains some lively dance numbers, i'm looking forward to this.           Ps. Just to clarify, Mr Maynard's review was of the Auber disc, not Lindpaintner.

TerraEpon

A ballet from 1826? Hmmm 15 years before Giselle....I'm sure a lot of people would dismiss it because of that. But as a lover of 19th century dance music, I of course will put this firmly on my radar.

edurban

But Herold's 'La fille mal gardee' is 1828, only 2 years later (though little, if any, of Herold's score is used in productions today...)

semloh

Thanks for drawing attention to this, edurban. It's just so obscure.  ;D

edurban

When I first read the title, I thought it must be a joke...

kolaboy

eschiss1

As to the title, Purcell, Howard and Dryden's collaboration "The Indian Queen" is even (much! - 1695) earlier; interest in South America among musicians and writers - hrm, not sure that's what you meant?...

semloh

Well, Eric, I think The Brasilian Queen would not have raised an eyebrow - but The Brasilian Ape?
I wonder what on earth the storyline can be - misunderstood Giant Ape falls in love with Innocent Young Girl, entranced by her dancing?  :)
Can anyone set me right?

eschiss1

Good point.
The full title seems to be "Danina, or Jocko the Brazilian Ape" in English ("Danina oder Joko der brasilianische Affe"), I think, and a story by that title was republished several times during the 19th century in English.  To translate (Google-translate, apologies) from the middle of the German Wikipedia article on "Jocko"..

""Jocko ou le Singe du Brésil" (Jocko or the Brazilian monkey) is a two-act drama with music and ballets, which was premiered in Paris in 1825.

The Portuguese rice trader Fernandez moves from Lisbon to Brazil and creates a rice plantation there. When he saves the life of the monkey Jocko, he joins him and Fernandez tries to raise him. However, his manager Pedro is upset with Jocko's pranks and tries in vain to capture him. When a ship with Fernandez's wife and son suffers a landing when it lands, Pedro's son Dominique saves the wife and Jocko saves the son Fernand. When this is attacked by a snake, Jocko saves him a second time. One of the rescued, shipwrecked sailors considers Jocko a dangerous wild animal and shoots him.
After the world premiere in Paris, the audience asked not to let Jocko die. The performance, in which Charles-François Mazurier excelled as Jocko, was very successful and was adopted by other stages in Paris, London, Vienna, Stuttgart and Berlin. There was a hype, in the wake of which numerous objects were named after Jocko, such as clothes, fans, hairstyles and even bread.

4 Danina, or: Joko, the Brazilian monkey

Title page of the piano reduction.

Joko prevents Jäfre from kidnapping little Zabi.
"Danina, or: Joko, the Brazilian monkey" is a ballet that was premiered in Stuttgart in 1826. Choreography: Filippo Taglioni, music: Peter Joseph von Lindpaintner. The ballet is a (heavily modified) version of "Jocko ou le Singe du Brésil".

The course of the libretto version from 1830 largely corresponds to the version from 1826, but differs by a different description of the person and by the division into nudes and scenes. The following description of the content is based on the version from 1830.

Setting: Area on the Brazilian coast. The slave Danina is secretly married to Alvaro, the son of the rich planter Alonzo. She hides her son Zabi in a cave in the forest. Danina saves the monkey Joko from a snake. She rejects the love requests of the Mohren Jäfre, who swears revenge.
Joko annoys the planter Diego with his funny pranks, but the attempt to capture him fails. Danina visits Zabi and Joko becomes friends with Danina and Zabi. Alvaro arrives by ship and Danina tells him that Jäfre follows her with his love. Alvaro swears revenge.

Jäfre reveals Alonzo the love relationship between Alvaro and Danina. On behalf of Alonzo, Jäfre is looking for Zabi. He finds him in the cave and tries to kidnap him. Joko wounded Jäfre with a rifle shot, releasing Zabi. Joko takes Zabi on his back and saves him on the trees.

Danina finds Jäfres bloody coat and fears the worst for Zabi. Alonzo and Alvaro come over. Joko is discovered on a tree with Zabi. After a short hunt, Joko releases Zabi. Jäfre is led away. Alonzo gives his blessing to his son's connection with Danina."

semloh

Eric, thank you for all your work on this. It's quite complicated, of course, and I love the idea that the audience didn't want Jocko to die - and that it was accompanied by exploitative marketing. I don't think even Star Wars went as far as Jocko bread - amazing. All we need now is to hear the music.  :)

Sharkkb8

So, a little over 2 years since the original post......I've just done an admittedly cursory internet search, and come up empty.  Anyone have any news or update about this?  (Mr. Salvi?!)

Alan Howe