Gotovac: Ero the Joker on cpo

Started by M. Yaskovsky, Wednesday 12 February 2020, 07:46

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Yaskovsky

Alan Howe

Erm, the opera was premiered in 1935, so what is its idiom, please?

M. Yaskovsky

I think it's the Croatian equivalent - in popularity - of Smetana's Bartered Bride. Gotovac's music is 100% tonal, folkloristic and nationalist romantic as can be.

alberto

A dance titled "Kolo" from the opera in object was recorded by Rudolph Kempe and the VPO and released various times. I have got it in  a EMI Icon box (11 Cds).

Alan Howe

eschiss1

-Part- of Ero, together with a symphonic Kolo that may not be the same as the Kolo from Ero (not sure?) and also several symphonic poems, by Gotovac (and also some Balkan Dances by Tajcevic) have already appeared on a cpo CD (#999-724) from 2001, of course.

BerlinExpat

The Symphonic Kolo was Gotovac's first orchestral work, op. 12 and he used it as a model for the Kolo in Ero. The Kolo being a South Slavonic folk dance.
On Operavision there was recently a video of Ero the Joker, the new production from the Croatian National Theatre in Zagreb.
A bit surprising that CPO are releasing another version of this enjoyable opera.

eschiss1

I thought the earlier cpo was just excerpts ?

BerlinExpat

No, four orchestral works and the Song and Kolo from Ero.
The fill-up is Seven Balkan Dances by Marko Tajcevic.

eschiss1

Yes, I know what was on the earlier release. My point is that it shouldn't surprise that they're releasing "another version" (your words though) of this opera when they've never released any version beyond brief excerpts in the first place..,

BerlinExpat

With "another version" I meant different to their own. The current production of Ero the Joker at the Croation National Opera in Zagreb as was until recently available on Operavision is a perfectly acceptable rendition of the opera.

Kevin

QuoteI think it's the Croatian equivalent - in popularity - of Smetana's Bartered Bride. Gotovac's music is 100% tonal, folkloristic and nationalist romantic as can be.

That about sums up the opera quite well. I enjoyed it and the recording, all the names are unfamiliar to me but everything sounded fine to my ears, no complaints. The opera could've been a bit more melodic, maybe on further listens it will reveal itself more(that happens to me a lot)