Ludvig Norman's Symphony No. 3 on Konserthuset

Started by Ilja, Monday 24 February 2020, 20:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

Hi all,
I didn't see this mentioned although it was published last year, but the excellent website of the Royal Stockholm Phil put their performance of Ludvig Norman's Third Symphony online here. Great performance, and sublime registration as usual.
Edit: there are some other unsung goodies to be had, as well: Clara Schumann's concerto, Lili Boulanger's Faust et Hélène, and Berwald's Third under the direction of Herbert Blomstedt, to name a few.

Alan Howe

Can anyone download this, please? It is indeed a superb work.

Ilja

I was getting to that...
Also, the quality of these video registrations is just astounding - the Royal Stockholm Phil are the best I've seen. You get to see each player and instrument at an opportune time, but the "movie" itself stays dynamic as well - all proof that the producers really know their music. David Tarrodi and Yellow Tone are doing sterling work here.
There are a couple of other good channels (most notably the Frankfurt RSO/HR-Sinfonieorchester on Youtube), but most are still stiflingly conductor-centric (let's call it "Karajan's disease") or just very static and predictable.

Alan Howe

Thanks so much, Ilja.

This concert recording raises Norman's symphony to a whole new level. Proof, if ever we needed it, that unsung music benefits enormously from first-rate performance values and passionate advocacy.

Wonder whether a commercial recording will be made...?

Mark Thomas

Thanks for this Ilja, it really is a superb performance and a huge improvement on the one available form Sterling. Quite a revelation, in fact.

Ilja

Yes, and Oramo is quickly becoming one of my favorite conductors, too. Sort of a Järvi for the new time - a world-class conductor who does both iron repertory (check out his Schumann 3 on the same site) and unsungs.

Joachim Raff

Absolutely brilliant, only recording i have is the Sterling issue with the National Symphony Orchestra of South Africa. So pleased about this little gem with a Swedish Orchestra and Oramo. Revelation  8)   

Alan Howe

OK, I'm going to say it: this is a masterwork that should be known to concert-goers the world over. It is an absolute scandal that it isn't.

dhibbard

Yes   such an improvement to the Sterling recording.... such a shame we don't have a better recording in the market place.....  Chandos??  hello??