Violin Sonatas by d'Indy & Dupuis

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 28 February 2020, 10:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

The Dupuis (tracks 1-4) sounds like a wonderful discovery.

eschiss1

the only music I think I've heard by him is his Macbeth (symphonic poem.)

Mark Thomas

The all-Dupuis CD which includes Macbeth is a real showcase for his music. All the pieces on it are strong works, full of drama. I shall certainly be getting this new recording when the download becomes available.

eschiss1

Thanks. iirc "Through the Night" has broadcast Macbeth. Of course one assumes he composed somewhat more. I should look into that, semi-obsessive list-maker I used to be..

mjmosca

There seems to be some confusion about Albert Dupuis- I checked the link for "Macbeth" and saw that the composer is given as Sylvain Dupuis, with dates close but not the same as that listed for Albert Dupuis on this disk. Checking Wikipedia for Albert Dupuis, I found what appears to be another Albert Dupuis, born in 1877. Thoroughly confused at this point! Does anyone know the answer to this puzzle? thanks!

Alan Howe

This CD contains music by Albert Dupuis (1877-1967), not Sylvain Dupuis (1856-1931). The confusion arises from the fact that the reverse of the CD has the dates of d'Indy and Albert Dupuis the wrong way round, thus suggesting that the latter's dates were 1851-1931.

Mark Thomas

Ah yes, that was confusing. The CD mentioned above is of music by Sylvian, of course.

eschiss1

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Let's all blame it on the wrong dates on the reverse of the CD!

mjmosca

Thanks everyone! looking forward to getting this disk.

Alan Howe

The Violin Sonata by Albert Dupuis, although late in date (pub.1922), is fully romantic (downstream from Franck) and extremely beautiful. This new recording is distinguished by violin playing of superlative quality from Gaƫtane Prouvost - passionate, yet beautifully controlled and possessed of a really lovely tone. Lovely portamenti too...

eschiss1

IMSLP   has a piece by Dupuis for violin and piano, a rhapsodic fantasy, which could go well with the sonata maybe.
How's the recording of the d'Indy compare to other recordings (there have been a few)? :) (I used to have one of d'Indy's coupled with Roussel's 2nd sonata and Alkan's duo, iirc.)

eschiss1

BNF has 3 entries for the Dupuis violin sonata, two with estimated publication date (that is, library datestamp) of 1922, one with "copyright 1923"- which is a little weird, since library datestamp is usually accurate. Anyway, yep.