Louis Vierne - Complete Piano Works (live concerts in Melbourne, Australia)

Started by dmitterd, Tuesday 03 March 2020, 08:59

Previous topic - Next topic

dmitterd

I've missed the boat in posting this in time for the first concert, however those in Melbourne, Australia are warmly invited to attend a series of free concerts in Melba Hall, The University of Melbourne, of Louis Vierne's complete works for piano, in this, his 150th birthday year. The pianist is Harold Fabrikant, who enjoys a multifaceted career as pianist, organist, music editor and radiologist. As far as I'm aware, this is the only series of performances of his piano works this year, anywhere in the world. Those interested can book here. Today's first instalment was absolutely wonderful.

best wishes,
Daniel

4candles

That's great to hear Daniel.

Is there a recording available of Vierne's complete piano works (I own a set of Preludes I think, plus a few other short pieces)? Or is this something being considered?

4c

jdperdrix

I know of two recordings.
One by Charles Delvallée (Arion) and the other one by Olivier Gardon (Timpani). Both available on Amazon.

dmitterd

Those two sets mentioned above are almost complete recordings; they don't include two works that were given their first publication in Bärenreiter's edition from 2008/9 or thereabouts.

Lithuanian pianist Muza Rubackyte has recorded more than half the piano works; these are also available from Amazon.