"The Franz Schmidt Project" by Jonathan Berman & BBC National Orchestra of Wales

Started by vesteel, Saturday 07 March 2020, 15:16

Previous topic - Next topic

vesteel

"The Franz Schmidt Project has been set up by Jonathan Berman to record all four of Schmidt's symphonies with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales. These will form the backbone of a far reaching project to perform and promote the music of Franz Schmidt leading to his 150th Birthday in 2024."
Website here: http://www.loganartsmanagement.com/jonathan-berman---the-franz-schmidt-project.html

The First Symphony seems to have been already recorded in January and clips from the recording sessions are uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uROr8pOE1iA

Alan Howe

Nice, but forgive me for asking: will conductor and orchestra be good enough to rival existing recordings?

brendangcarroll

I am delighted to learn of this. Any project that will shine a light on this great composer is worthwhile and with a BBC orchestra involved means it will receive publicity, airplay and promotion.

Alan Howe

QuoteAny project that will shine a light on this great composer is worthwhile

I understand what you're saying, but I don't really agree. At this point in time it needs to be more than just 'any project'. And, if it's of only average quality, all the BBC involvement in the world won't sell it. In reality, the music will merely be accorded a few slices of Radio 3 afternoon airtime in advance of the release of the CDs and that'll be it. It'll be reviewed in BBC Music Magazine, of course, but so what? Their reviews aren't serious journalism anyway.

If this were the 1970s I'd be jumping for joy. But with multiple recordings of the symphonies available, it could be that the main interest of the project will lie elsewhere. We'll see...

der79sebas

Maybe they will dare to record "Deutsche Auferstehung" ("German Resurrection"), this absurd cantata which Schmidt began to write under Nazi-pressure. Would be interesting to hear this (and, due to its suspected "quality", hopefully proof that Schmidt was not a Nazi - similar to Shostakovich's funny "Song of the Woods" which clearly shows that Shostakovich was not a communist).

MartinH

Well this is good news indeed, but I agree with the above comments: will these performances be strong enough to warrant them being made? Now, if we could have them in glorious SACD then do it!

What I really want is a legal recording of Fredigundis! Of Schmidt's music, that's the only thing (other than some early things) that still needs recording. I treasure my LP copy of a Viennese performance, but we need better.

I would be shocked frankly if anyone dared to take up Deutsche Auferstehung; most of it wasn't written by Schmidt anyway. Some of the lyrics are quite ugly and do nothing for Schmidt's reputation.

Fabio Luisi in Dallas is doing Das Buch next month, then a year later he's programmed the 4th - maybe he needs another go around with the music.

brendangcarroll

The only way an unjustly neglected composer will become known or "sung" again is through mass exposure. Schmidt's music is hardly ever given airplay on the BBC (which is perhaps the main media through which the wider public encounters unfamiliar music) so that is why I commend such a project, which must be considered a brave leap of faith and very welcome.

To dismiss recordngs of rarely heard music on the grounds that the conductor and/or orchestra is not top notch or of the first rank seems to me to be very narrow minded and also somewhat counter-productive.

Yes, I also wish the Vienna Philharmonic or the London Symphony would do these symphonies, conducted by Rattle or Mehta or Gergiev or whomever, but until these symphonies become really widely known and familiar, they will not peak the interest of the major ensembles or conductors. If we were to wait around until that happened, the music would languish forever.

So let us be glad that someone is taking up Schmidt's cause and with the involvement of the BBC to boot!

Alan Howe

QuoteThe only way an unjustly neglected composer will become known or "sung" again is through mass exposure.

I'd hardly describe the odd afternoon broadcast on BBC Radio 3 as 'mass exposure'. It's a lot better than nothing, of course, but to describe it in this way is pure exaggeration - and wishful thinking. As for reviews in BBC's Music Magazine, well, all labels get reviewed there, if you can describe the paltry mentions as serious journalism.

QuoteTo dismiss recordngs of rarely heard music on the grounds that the conductor and/or orchestra is not top notch or of the first rank seems to me to be very narrow minded and also somewhat counter-productive.

I didn't dismiss them. I merely raised the question of the advisability of pitting a very good orchestra and unknown conductor against the bands and conductors who have already entered the field. Having said which, this is music that demands the very best...

QuoteYes, I also wish the Vienna Philharmonic or the London Symphony would do these symphonies, conducted by Rattle or Mehta or Gergiev or whomever, but until these symphonies become really widely known and familiar, they will not peak the interest of the major ensembles or conductors. If we were to wait around until that happened, the music would languish forever.

Well, of course, they have been done by the very best orchestras/conductors - ChicagoSO (2;3 - N.Järvi); VPO (2 - Bychkov; 4 - Mehta); LPO (4 - Welser-Möst); and they've certainly been done by comparable bands, e.g. Malmö/Sinaisky; MDRSO Leipzig/Luisi. Frankly, I don't think your point stacks up.

I repeat: this is not the 1970s. We already have a considerable number of superb recordings of FS's symphonies.

I will, of course, be following this new project with real interest, but not with unbridled enthusiasm - except, perhaps, when it comes to unrecorded Schmidt...

Mark Thomas

FBerwald

I doubt! But lets see. It's has become quite entertaining to see (once again) enthusiastic opinions by members here badgered by some people who insist on having the last word.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Yes, it would be great if Mehta and the Vienna Philharmonic would conduct these symphonies... ... oh wait, they already have. The 4th, at least. (My first ever recording purchase of Schmidt's music, back in the early 1990s or so.) Well, it would be great if they'd do them _again_. Right.

Alan Howe

MartinH

Vienna Phil did do the 2nd. I was at the BBC Proms concert that summer and hoping for a cd and then what do you know, it came out. No Mehta, but that's ok. The playing is stupendous. And they also recorded Das Buch with Harnoncourt.  Schmidt's music is really difficult and I'd like to hear a cycle of the symphonies from Berlin - that supervirtuoso orchestra. Petrenko did a fine job with the 4th.