Jāzeps Medinš (1877-1947) Symphony No.3 in E flat

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 26 March 2020, 18:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

semloh

The YT version is from an old Melodiya LP, which also included the Aria from Suite No.1; and, the same performers also recorded the 2nd symphony ('In Spring').

Sharkkb8

Am I mistaken, or does the download link above go to the A major Symphony #2, rather than #3?   

Mark Thomas

The MediaFire download is certainly not the same music as the recording on YouTube of Symphony No.3, nor is it of the same sound quality, clearly coming from a rather battered LP. I guess it must be the Second Symphony.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

if someone with scores of the works could confirm that -both- works are as labeled it would be good :)

(rather than, say, music by someone else entirely)

tpaloj

Thank you for the links and info on this composer. Fascinating symphonies.

I wonder how his early (1911) Violin Concerto is like? In browsing the Latvian National Library's catalogue, Jazeps' compositions are well represented but I could not find an entry for a VC... well, the entries are all in latvian so it's probably my fault! The first symphony's score is there (the entry appears to indicate 389 pages.... that's a lot, so perhaps it also includes the parts?). Also several other orchestral works: orchestral overture; orchestral prelude etc. and the piano score to his opera Vaidelote.

Gareth Vaughan

Quotebut I could not find an entry for a VC

Is this what you are looking for:

Title
Koncerts vijolei un orķestrim, partitūra [notis].
Author
Jāzeps Mediņš 1877-1947.
Imprint
B.v.
Publication Year
b g
Physical Description
119 lpp.
Language
Latvian
Subjects
Notis
Instrumentāli skaņdarbi
Genre/Form
Manuskripti
Source
NLL Rare Books and Manuscripts

eschiss1

is the first symphony a brief work? 389 pp. doesn't actually sound like that out-of-the-ordinary for a score of that time or place or especially publisher- depending. (Compare Lyapunov's 2 symphonies. His first (1887), published in 1902 by Zimmermann- 193 pages in full score, 40 minutes. His second (1917), first published posthumously by the company sometimes abbreviated to Muzgiz, in 1958- about 324 pages for ca.50 minutes.) (The size of the pages, maybe, or the decisions where to place the breaklines? Or prefaces? Or- I wish I knew :) )

eschiss1

Thanks for reminding me to add that library, as well, to the list of libraries I need to add (along with ONB and not a few others) when Worldcat does not turn up what I'm looking for (etc.)

eschiss1

(Actually, https://kopkatalogs.lv/ has 398 pp for symphony no.1 and doesn't give a pagination for Medins' "Simfonija Nr. 3" unless 43 balsis means 86 pages, or something like that? (Maybe this page contains useful information for someone who reads Latvian- it looks like an interesting page. The fact that a translation contains lines like "there is no right to download the file" suggests (though it does not prove yet) that perhaps there are other pages on this dom.lndb.lv site with earlier-published pages belonging to other earlier composers that -are- downloadable, an interesting prospect.)

tpaloj

Technically, Jazeps' scores are public domain in EU given his death year of 1947. Maybe somebody has ordered and paid for the digitization, which is why the files seem to be there but cannot be accessed (Nav tiesības lejupielādēt datni) by others?
QuoteIs this what you are looking for:

Title
Koncerts vijolei un orķestrim, partitūra [notis].
Great, you got it! Latvia, and her National Library, is looking more and more like a nice place to visit some day!

eschiss1

of course maybe the program notices that I'm in the US and that they're -not- PD here :)
(though that shouldn't apply to some of the 1890s scores by Vitols. And to be fair, there's at least one score by Vitols- his  Op.6 variations published in 1892 I think- one can view (and perhaps download image by image? not sure...) on the site- maybe others, too.)

dhibbard

I would check with the publishing house ULMA in Riga.  I was able to get the some of his piano works and also Jazeps Vitols (which you can now download at Sibley Music library for free) in Riga about 20 years ago.  I don't have the contact info for ULMA (that was in 2000), but they were all in fresh typeset and not photo copies from years ago. 

Sharkkb8

If someone could record the originally-posted Sym 3 Youtube recording and place it in the Downloads section, I, for one, would be very grateful.  I used to routinely record online sound using Audacity, and then Movavi, but recent changes to macOS have produced software compatibility problems. Out of frustration, and after unsuccessfully trying various other methods, I gave up. 

(Or, if someone could DM some other Mac-compatible solution (ideally not overly technical/complex), that would be grand)

Or, would a new, current thread about such recording techniques be of enough interest to justify & sustain itself?