Wanted: Romantic music for Hutchins "new violin family" instruments

Started by ewk, Friday 03 April 2020, 10:22

Previous topic - Next topic

ewk

Dear all,
The idea about asking you for guidance came across my mind when writing about Taneyev's op. 31 string trio including a tenor viola. I have been fascinated by the Hutchins instruments for a while now, and when Corona allows, I will start building an alto violin in summer.

Carleen Maley Hutchins was an American luthier and violin acoustic scientist mostly working in the 2d half of the 20th century. Her life is very interesting on its own, how she made it from a biology teacher to a leading violin acoustic expert (there's a biography by Quincey Whitney, for those interested).

Besides her landmark acoustical findings (see the moving obituary on the famous violin maker Joseph Curtin's site: https://josephcurtinstudios.com/carleen-hutchins-remembered/), she is probably best remembered for creating the "new violin family", a series of 8 scaled violins from treble (octave violin) to contrabass violin (ca. double bass). Yo yo Ma recorded the Bartok viola concerto on her alto violin, a 50cm vertical viola which also Stokowski greatly admired.

From the Met Museum's exhibition description:
QuoteThe Hutchins Violin Octet includes: Treble Violin, tuned an octave above the conventional violin; Soprano Violin, tuned an octave above the viola; Mezzo Violin, an enlarged version of the conventional 14-inch violin; Alto Violin, an enlarged, vertically
played version of the conventional viola; Tenor Violin, tuned an octave below the normal violin; Baritone Violin, tuned like the cello; Small Bass Violin, about the size of a three-quarter bass; and Contrabass Violin, larger than its conventional counterpart, the double bass.

More information here: https://nvfa.org/8tet.html

Now, there is only one permanent ensemble, the Hutchins consort. There are some inspiring videos on YouTube of them playing.

The thing is, as always for unusual instruments, the repertoire. The consort plays arrangements and original compositions. When I came across the Stelzner instruments (violotta and Cellone, which correspond to Hutchins' tenor and bass violins), I thought there might be original romantic compositions for this kind of instruments.

So far, I know about the Krug Sextet, the Draeseke quintet, the Taneyev trio op. 31 and some (obscure) compositions by Stelzner himself.

Can anyone add to this list, or can anyone tell more about these works, their quality? Does anyone know more of Stelzner's own compositions? Any help and recommendations would  be  greatly  appreciated!

Best wishes and thanks in advance, ewk

Alan Howe

eschiss1

There are some works listed @ IMSLP as having arrangements for violotta or cellone or ensembles containing them. The Wikipedia article on Violotta does mention a Schillings opera with a part for Violotta.
The viola alta, for which Draeseke also wrote music, was luckier; Olbersleben, I think, was one of several other composers besides Draeseke to write music for the viola alta (see eg IMSLP.)
(I've been having an off-on again look at Olbersleben's music anyway and should see if we've ever had a thread about him...)