Emil von Sauer (1862-1942)

Started by Peter1953, Monday 15 March 2010, 21:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Most of us are familiar with Sauer's PC 1 on Hyperion. I think it's a lovely, romantic and well-crafted concerto full of beautiful passages. The theme of the slow movement, a Cavatina, appears also in the last movement. In the 3rd movement the theme sounds moving and serene, but in the final movement it's changed into a short but elegant show piece.

This concerto is the only work I have from Sauer. Danacord Records offers 5 CDs with piano music, including the 2nd PC, all played by Oleg Marshev. I'm especially interested in the PC and the two sonatas. Does anybody know this music? What is it like?

chill319

For what it's worth, Peter, I've "played through" Sauer's two sonatas a few times. If I had to describe him in a phrase, it would be "Lisztian Reinecke." Meaning: a true lyric gift, an ability to marshall his materials formally, and few if any Brahmsian sound-bites. In short, I think the Marshev site puts it well by saying that "his works are often quite inventive and are in need of further investigation."

JimL

I have the 2nd Concerto CD.  I don't like it as much as the 1st.  The C Minor Concerto is a tonally progressive work (ending in E-flat) that collapses four movements into one in a quasi-Lisztian fashion.  I just don't find the material even nearly as engaging as that of PC 1. 

Alan Howe

PC2 is still very attractive: 31 minutes of rather more epic material than PC1. Well worth a listen! Excerpts (first four tracks) here:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/SESSIONID/fb2168f227aec203db41480801eeeed3/classic/detail/-/art/Emil-von-Sauer-Klavierkonzert-Nr-2/hnum/4174394

thalbergmad

I like both of the PC's, but have no experience of his solo works, apart from my own feeble attempt to play his Moto Perpetuo which resulted in my being unable to lift a pint for a week.

Must get recordings of the sonatas.

Thal

Peter1953

Thanks for your posts. I've listened to the audio excerpts, and both sonata's sound interesting enough to buy these highly priced Danacord CDs (mdt is slightly cheaper than jpc).

Jonathan

Hi All,
I have the entire Danacord set.  I think Sauer was writing a little too late for his style (if you understand my meaning).  His works are nice, well crafted music but (to my ears) usually not very memorable.  Of the set, I would say the best works are the Etudes - some are really very good.  I have the score for one of the studies (can't get to it just now) and it is finger twistingly difficult (must have a look for it later on). 

Full marks to Oleg Marshev for recording them!  The Sonatas as Chilli said earlier are worthy or investigation as well.
In haste...

FBerwald

The Danacord Sauer Set claims to be the complete Piano music but the 4 Klavierstücke, Op. 5 seems to be missing.

FBerwald

Just came across a performance (of the 1st movement) of Sauer's 1st Piano Concerto. I had forgotten what an absolute charmer this was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su6o-QMNYJg

It's wonderful to see young artists pick up unsung pieces

semloh

Thank you for that YT link. What a treat! Pure enjoyment.