2010 in retrospect

Started by albion, Thursday 04 November 2010, 17:20

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

Nowkowski Sym 1 turned out a far far better work than I ever expected it to be (a real masterwork indeed). So if Sterling do go ahead with the other two symphonies, that would be terrific news.

Wandering off thread, I know, but what of Wladyslaw Zelenski? Given the dates (1837-1921) he was almost an exact contemporary of Noskowski, and both were rated equally highly in the history of Polish music. The only work I know is the Op 61 Piano Quartet, which is on an Olympia CD along with the Op 8 Noskowski Piano Quartet - and a rather more rewarding work than the latter. (And, of course, being an Olympia record it now only seems to be obtainable at a silly price from some wretch on Amazon).

Zelenski has 2 symphonies, a piano concerto, and many chamber works (along with 4-5 operas). Who knows, we could be in for a real treat if someone gave him the chance.

Peter

jerfilm

The Piano Concerto in Eb has been available on CD.

Alan Howe

Quote from: jerfilm on Monday 22 November 2010, 02:00
The Piano Concerto in Eb has been available on CD.

Do you remember the details by any chance?

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteZelenski has 2 symphonies

In fact, Zelenski had two symphonies. They are lost or destroyed - only the Andante of No. 1 survives as a separate piece called "Funeral Tones". The score and parts are available from PWM, the main Polish music publisher.

petershott@btinternet.com

Thanks, Gareth, for that information. I was going on various on-line sources, such as the Polish Music Centre, and when you see dates and opus numbers allocated to works then an innocent chap such as I makes the natural assumption that at least scores are available and the job is to persuade someone to perform them. Life, unfortunately, isn't as simple as that!

The sentiment has been expressed on the site before, but I find it very distressing to think of a major work such as a symphony as being forever unsung. Just try the mental experiment of putting yourself in the composer's shoes now knowing that your work will never, ever, be performed, let alone heard by others. The thought is gruesome.

So, alas, Zelenski 1 and 2 are things we shall never hear - they promised much. Unless of course some benevolent angelic orchestra plays them in heaven. But perhaps not - only harps get strummed in that dull place. Maybe I'd much prefer hell - heigh, ho, lots of Liszt, and those thoroughly mad but rather good late symphonies of Tischenko. For the musically inclined, hell appears far preferable to heaven, eh?. (Forgive my frivolity!)

I haven't checked, but presumably much of the Zelenski chamber music is up for grabs by any enterprising chamber group? As I remarked above the Piano Quartet is certainly worth a go.

Peter

jerfilm

Well, I'm glad I didn't say "commercial" CD.   My database is pretty complete but I don't keep track of performers or labels - heck I figure the few times anyone asks, I can just go look at the disc and find out.

In this case, the performance of Zelenski's Piano Concerto in Eb came from a friend and apparently was originally taped from Polish Radio in 1952.  The performers are Ilga Martusiewicz, piano, Polish Radio National SO under Bydgoszcz (that's what it sez......).  The sound is 1950 mono so not great but at least you get to hear the concerto.  33 minutes

ON the same CD is a quite lovely little Concerto in a by Aleksander Zarzycki (1834-95).   This one apparently was on record, probably Lp, a label called Selene, number 9905.50.  Same orchestra and director but the piano is Jozef Smidowicz.  This one is only 18 minutes long.

Jerry

Gareth Vaughan

The Zarzycki PC is indeed a gem. I have that Selene CD of the historic performance by Smidowicz - not great sound, I'm afraid, but quite listenable-to.
I wonder if Zelenski's PC, Zarzycki's PC and Zarebski's Piano Quintet (which is very like a concerto for piano and strings) would fit on one CD. If so, all the Zed's would be something that might appeal to Hyperion. Of course, there is also the left-hand concerto by Geza Zichy, but he was Hungarian and I am told the piano part is uninspiring.  I once searched for the full score and orchestral parts (not too diligently, I admit) but drew a blank.

thalbergmad

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Wednesday 24 November 2010, 13:33
Of course, there is also the left-hand concerto by Geza Zichy, but he was Hungarian and I am told the piano part is uninspiring. 

You would need to bring Dreyschock back to life for that one.

Make it 2 disks and chuck on 2 Zimmermans and a Zellner.

Thal

eschiss1

makings of an amusing thread in the other subgroup(?) there, I think... from Zach through Zeisl to Zollner and the modern Zwaag, and of course well beyond... (speaking generally; piano chamber music or piano concertante music limits it!)
Eric

thalbergmad

The Stradal disc was the highlight of the year for me, but I have not heard the Raff Die Tageszeiten yet, although I have asked Santa to give me it for Christmas.

I seem to listen to but a fraction of what some learned members here do. I keep getting the urge to play all the time and as we speak the Yankee Doodle variations by De Meyer is beckoning.

Thal

Jonathan

I'd have to agree with Thal here - the Stradal disc is superb!

Revilod

For me the outstanding disc of 2010 was the Dutton recording of Sainsbury's wonderful Violin Concerto.