News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Vincent d'Indy

Started by dhibbard, Sunday 05 April 2020, 05:55

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

If Meyerbeer had been of German origin? You mean if he'd been, say, born in Tasdorf, near Berlin? No, can't imagine ...

adriano

Of course he was, eschiss, my formulation was put in the wrong form; I've corrected it. My G*d, how careful one has to be in here with every word...

eschiss1

given that you went off on a long rant very recently indeed aggrieved by something I did not say, let's say I am not entirely sympathetic.

Alan Howe

And, with that, back to d'Indy, please.

Gareth Vaughan

And, gentlemen, please let's not quarrel. We are all friends on this forum... or ought to be. I am sure no-one ever really means to give offence. It's just that the written word does not convey the tone of voice, facial expression, etc of the speaker, so it is easy for a wrong impression to be given.

Now d'Indy, I must confess, is someone I have never really got to grips with. But only in the sense that I have not heard much of his music. Apart from the Symphony on a French Mountaineer's Song, that is. Could someone, more knowledgeable suggest a good place for me to start? There are certainly no dearth of recordings...

adriano

Gareth, try out the Istar Variations, Poème des rivages, la Forêt enchantée and Tableaux de voyage. And perhaps his Piano Sonata op. 63 :-)

Kevin

Don't forget his L'Etranger - a satisfying opera if you ask me.

Gareth Vaughan

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

eschiss1

I'm sure it's not the best but I've been very satisfied with the Kodaly Quartet's recording of d'Indy's first two (of 3) string quartets.

jdperdrix

I recommend the 2-CD recording of his 3 quartets and sextet by Quatuor Joachim. They range from his Franckian period (1 and 2) to his neo-classical period (3 and sextet). I'm not sure the physical CDs are still available, but it can still be downloaded.

semloh

Yes, jdperdrix, I enjoy the JoachimQt recordings, too. What do you think about the Sextet?

eschiss1

I know that question was directed at jdperdrix but I have a question about the sextet. I may be thinking of someone else's but fairly sure it's d'Indy's finale whose variations finale is for want of a better phrase quite magical, neoclassical in its use of a fugue and concluding quodlibet but not classically especially "restrained", or does it strike others otherwise?

mjmosca

May I inquire if the recording of L'étranger that was made of the 2010 Montpelier Festival broadcast is still available? I have looked for it through the usual channels and can not find it anywhere. I thought that the performance of Fervaal available through the Download site, was very interesting- and beautifully cast, a fine presentation. Thank you.

jdperdrix

L'étranger can still be downloaded from Qobuz for example.

semloh

Eric - I'll have a listen, with your comment/question in mind, and get back!