Wilhelm Berger - Symphony No.1 Op.71

Started by Reverie, Tuesday 07 April 2020, 23:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

cypressdome

It appears that the Max-Reger-Archiv holds three manuscripts (scores and parts) of the Konzertstück which are described here: D-MEIr BI5, D-MEIr BI6, and D-MEIr B17.

Alan Howe

The work appears to date from 1888.

Wikipedia has this:
<< Between 1878 and 1884, Berger studied at the Royal Conservatory in Berlin, under Ernst Rudorff (piano) and Friedrich Kiel (counterpoint). From 1888 to 1903, he was a teacher at the Klindworth-Scharwenka Conservatory, a function which he combined, from 1899, with the chief conductorship of the Berlin Musical Society. In addition, he was very active as a concert pianist.>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Berger    (my emphasis)

eschiss1

Since some major works of Berger's were in manuscript at least until recently (cello sonata op.28 iirc) I guess this is another that disappeared, either after failing to find a publisher or without his trying...

terry martyn

The CD ,at a price of 14.99 euros, has finally surfaced at jpc  (who have also reduced the price of the Goltermann Symphony to the same anount).

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Guessing from the samples that track 1 is the concertpiece :)

hyperdanny

the sound samples are extremely tantalizing...

terry martyn

A must-buy for me. I have also ordered it (along with the Goltermann).

Alan Howe

Justin

Since I live in the States and happy with the digital format, I'll wait for Presto to put the MP3s on sale.

Has anyone read his biography by Capelle and Goltz?

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Jpc will be wondering what's going on!

Mark Thomas

Maybe a rush on it will encourage them not to delay a recording of Symphony No.2!