Anton Rubinstein's Opera 'Demon'

Started by Collrec, Saturday 11 April 2020, 00:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Collrec

I have just been informed by the ASO (American Symphony Orchestra) that their July 2018 BARD Summerscape performance of Anton Rubinsteins opera 'Demon' conducted by Leon Botstein will be available to view from the ASO online website this coming Wednesday, April 15, 2020. In a way this could be considered as being a world premiere performance since the opera was given uncut with the complete ballet and extended final scene from Act 2 included. This indeed is a rarity since, to the best of my knowledge, one or the other of these two sections are always omitted in all available audio or video recordings ever released.

I hope one of our members could download this performance so it could be viewed by all members.

Gareth Vaughan

I would certainly and very heartily second that request. There is no entirely satisfactory recording of "The Demon" currently available, and I for one find it a very enjoyable work. Also, I have never seen it staged so to have the Bard performance would be a great bonus.

Mark Thomas

Here's the link: https://americansymphony.org/aso-online/. It looks like Demon will be available from 15 April, which will make things easier for non-US members. Korngold's Das Wunder der Heliane is already available.

Christopher

Quote from: Collrec on Thursday 01 February 2018, 16:07

Back in 2002, or maybe 2003, Gergiev recorded Rubinstein's "Demon" from a live Kirov performance. This version contained the often omitted final scene of Act 2 taking place after Tamara is sent to a monastery and containing the revenge for the murder of Prince Sinodal choral finale. This scene has always been omitted in all of the commercially released recordings of the opera including the Melodiya one (MEL CD 10 02102). The problem with Gergiev's recording is that the exciting act 2 ballet was omitted. I contacted the Kirov staff at that time and they told me that supplementary recording sessions were in progress to restore the ballet music in its proper place and when this was completed the now uncut performance would soon be released on the Philips label. Well, this never happened, probably because of the demise of Philips. The master tape of this uncut "Demon" still exists in the Kirov vaults (so I was told by them) and is awaiting for an enterprising record company to release it on CD, but the chances of this happening are very slim.

I remember that back then, Gergiev brought the Demon to the Paris Opera and I think it was broadcast on Radio France but I don't know if the ballet was included since the reviews did not mention that. Any comments from UC members, who may have recorded the Radio France broadcast, would be appreciated.

This might hopefully, therefore, address the "missing" section that was referred to by @Collrec in another thread - http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,6304.msg66805.html#msg66805

Collrec

From what I understand, the ASO online link mentioned by Mark Thomas will only play the live video performance of the opera, not download it into your computer. What happens after the corona virus pandemic is over?  Will the live performance still be available on the Internet? What we need is a smart member to record it and have it available to view at any time period like most audio only broadcasts. Can a live video performance be recorded the same way?

dhibbard

It looks like they download most of the live concerts to Amazon and iTunes...      https://americansymphony.org/downloads/

Collrec

Demon was not on the ASO list of downloads before the corona virus pandemic hit nor will it be after the crisis is over. The only reason it is available from the ASO online website now is because of the corona virus. As I previously said, it will be removed when the crisis is over and everything is back to normal. So we need some member with the technical ability to download videos from the Internet and post them on our website. Is there any member out there that can do this? Please respond!

Kevin

It's a massive shame there was never a commercial recording of Botstein's Demon same goes with Dvorak's Dimitrji which only has one other release. As someone said above The Demon's never really had a great recording, the most satisfactory one is on Marco polo.

Mark Thomas

I've never recorded a video stream, but I'm willing to give it a try if no one else steps up to the plate (please do!). Absolutely no guarantee about the results, mind.

Mark Thomas

You can download the video made available at the American Symphony Orchestra's website in our own Downloads Board here. The video itself is not hi-def (960x540, the best available for download), but the audio quality isn't too bad (253 kbps, 48.000khz).

Collrec

Thank you Mark for such a fantastic download result. I couldn't find any differences between the original ASO video and yours. And what about those unbelievable dancers from Russian Georgia. We now have in our Unsung Composers database the only uncut recording of Demon that's ever been made and a video version no less. I'm curious about comments from other members.   

Gareth Vaughan

You got there before me. Thank you very much indeed, Mark. I am absolutely thrilled to have this splendid version of the uncut opera, and in good sound and more than adequate visuals. I like the production too. It's imaginative without ignoring the composer's intention and imposing some perverse and ludicrous ideas of the director.

Christopher

Quote from: Collrec on Friday 17 April 2020, 00:35
Thank you Mark for such a fantastic download result. I couldn't find any differences between the original ASO video and yours. And what about those unbelievable dancers from Russian Georgia. We now have in our Unsung Composers database the only uncut recording of Demon that's ever been made and a video version no less. I'm curious about comments from other members.   

What do you mean by "Russian Georgia"??

Alan Howe

Indeed. Georgia seceded from the Soviet Union in 1991 and is an independent country...

Christopher

(and a stunningly beautiful one.  And even within the Soviet Union it was never in Russia.)