Nielsen ---> Glass (Louis, not Philip)
Sibelius ---> Stenhammar
Shostakovich ---> Tcherepnin
Khatchaturian ---> Matchavariani

monafam

Updated it to read "love...like"   ;D

Excellent suggestions so far!

edurban

If you love the Mendelssohn & Schumann piano concertos, you'll like the first two Reinecke piano concertos. I can't understand at all why noone plays R 1.   Terrific piece, maybe the most completely satisfying piece by R I know. 

David

JimL

I'd toss in the 3rd Reinecke as well, David.  In fact, in many respects it's a finer work than the first two, and its finale is certainly superior to theirs.

Jonathan

Ok, thanks for reminding me about these concerti, that's more added to the "to listen to" pile this coming week!

eschiss1

The Reinecke concertos and concertante works (including and not limited to the piano concertos) probably could use their own thread (he says, so... hrm... why don't I just go and create one... soon.) - I like all 4 of the piano concertos (both performances of the first two that I've heard, I know that one of them has been recorded as least three times.), trying to remember which of the others I've heard offhand though I have seen the flute concerto in reduction e.g.  The compactness of the 4th piano concerto started by making me wonder, though (or of course).  Not in itself a bad thing.
ES