If you Love...then you will Like....Unsung Question

Started by monafam, Sunday 07 November 2010, 22:14

Previous topic - Next topic

monafam

This place has been fantastic in opening up great music I may have missed otherwise.

I have noticed a few threads might state: If you like [sung composer] then you will like [unsung composer].   Would it be possible to do some of that in this thread?  Maybe it's more a matter of just the genre itself, but sometimes it is nice for a comparison.   (I hope this isn't an unfair thing to request as they are probably all great.)

A few to start with --

If you love Dvorak...then you will like ......

If you love Mahler [symphonic -- I've yet to build much of a taste for lieders]...then you will like...

If you love [ok, insert sung Romantic Russian composer here!]....then you will like....

:)

Mark Thomas

Dvorak: try Fibich's three symphonies.
Mahler: Rott's Symphony is the obvious one to try.

Hovite

(The difficulty here is deciding who counts as unsung. Anyway:)

Quote from: monafam on Sunday 07 November 2010, 22:14If you like Dvorak...then you will like ......

I would suggest Smetana (some of his orchestral works are unsung).

Quote from: monafam on Sunday 07 November 2010, 22:14If you like Mahler [symphonic -- I've yet to build much of a taste for lieders]...then you will like...

Yes to Rott (which sounds like early Mahler), and add the 17 symphonies of Pettersson (but they are grim, the sort of music that Mahler might have written if he lived longer and endured more horrors). 

Quote from: monafam on Sunday 07 November 2010, 22:14If you like [ok, insert sung Romantic Russian composer here!]....then you will like....

(Spoilt for choice) Kabelsvsky, Kalinnikov, Myaskovsky.

febnyc

If you love Rachmaninoff, you will enjoy the Piano Concerto of American composer Vittorio Giannini.

edurban

If you love Rachmaninoff, you will also love the piano concertos of York Bowen.

David

TerraEpon

Dvorak ----> Novak
Rachmaninoff ----> Mathieu
Rimsky-Korsakov ----> Gliere

Peter1953

If you like Schumann's piano music, you will most certainly love Kirchner.

monafam

Thank you for the replies thusfar.  Some of the composer I am familiar with (thanks to this site), but I have more to check out it seems.

How about one of my favorite unsungs -- 

If you like Rubbra...then you will like...

I have his symphonies and it's one of my favorite sets to listen to!

eschiss1

Quote from: monafam on Tuesday 09 November 2010, 01:20

If you like Rubbra...then you will like...

I have his symphonies and it's one of my favorite sets to listen to!
A favorite of mine also, though not always in the Romantic orbit (?) of this forum I guess. Depends on which of his works (or even which of his 11 symphonies and sinfonietta) is your favorite though!
Eric

monafam

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 09 November 2010, 01:41

A favorite of mine also, though not always in the Romantic orbit (?) of this forum I guess. Depends on which of his works (or even which of his 11 symphonies and sinfonietta) is your favorite though!
Eric

Well, I just listened to #s 1 through 3 at work today -- all fantastic!  I am a sucker for a big orchestral fugue, which he offers up in all three.   I do recall liking all of them, but I need to listen to the others to get a better feel.

Kevin Pearson

If you like Dvorak try Josef Suk! His orchestral music is fantastic!

Kevin

Jonathan

eschiss1

Hrm. Very loosely speaking I guess but if you like Borodin and Tchaikovsky (not that close together true) you may like Aleksandr Kopylov and Nikolay Sokolov (recently a quartet by Sokolov has been recorded and uploaded to IMSLP by the way, here, along with the complete parts uploaded awhile back in the 1892 Belaieff edition. 

(I did, about a decade ago, create MIDI files of this same Sokolov quartet, but of course this performance sounds and is performed loads better.  I know of no human performances of any Kopylov string quartets, but there used to be an ASV recording of his symphony and other orchestral works, and briefer chamber works are on CD somewhere also I think since I recall? that he, like Sokolov, was one of Belaieff's circle and contributed to collaborative works for it like Les Vendredis, etc. Sokolov's other claim to fame(?), by the way, is as a counterpoint teacher to a Dimitri Shostakovich, and the dedicatee of an early work of the latter, but he's (Shostakovich... well, Sokolov too, that one mentions it - is) fairly obscure...)

thalbergmad

Alan Howe

If you like Schumann or Brahms, you'll just love Fuchs, Herzogenberg, Gernsheim, Dietrich, Eduard Franck, Jadassohn, Volkmann, Rheinberger, Bargiel, Bruch, Thieriot, Klughardt, Goetz, BrĂ¼ll...

With apologies for repeats!