British Clarinet Concertos

Started by britishcomposer, Tuesday 14 April 2020, 21:13

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

Dear members!
By chance I found this notice of a forthcoming recording:
https://www.tashmina.co.uk/news/robert-plane-to-record-with-bbc-scottish-and-martyn-brabbins/
The main interest of this board will be the concerto by Richard Walthew.
The notice is from April 2019 so the recordings should already have taken place.

Gareth Vaughan

How exciting and enterprising! Walthew AND Ruth Gipps. Thanks for the information. The Walthew, at least, should be within our remit - and possibly the Gipps.

Martin Eastick

What certainly would be of interest is a recording/peformance of Ebenezer Prout's unpublished clarinet concerto. The MS is in the Royal Academy of Music, and I am aware that the clarinettist Peter Cigleris is interested in the work, having applied for and been granted licence to use the MS via the "Orphan Works Register". When I met him a couple of years ago, he had already done much work in the preparation of the MS for performance use etc., so I would hope that a recording would be on the cards.

Also of interest must surely be the Percy Pitt Concertino, which was published in 1898. The problem here though would be that the orchestral score is missing/lost - and enquiries made to Boosey & Hawkes have so far come to nothing, so an orchestral reconstruction from the piano reduction would have to be undertaken.

If the two above works could have been coupled with the Walthew, then this would surely have been more appropriate perhaps?