Hiller Piano Concerto No.2/Shelley

Started by FBerwald, Tuesday 21 April 2020, 22:04

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

A video of Howard Shelley playing (the 3rd movement) Hiller's 2nd Piano Concerto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxFN-ZT1C20

edurban

Alan Howe

Wasn't it joyous? The CD's a must-get, of course:

FBerwald

It's one of my favourites from the whole RPC series. Now if only Hyperion or CPO (or any label) would get around to his other concertante works - cello, violin.

tpaloj

But it's not period accurate – he didn't play the first three notes with his fists  :(

(at least according to Frederic H. Cowen, Hiller's students used to do so when the master wasn't looking)

Quote from: FBerwald on Wednesday 22 April 2020, 10:00Now if only Hyperion or CPO (or any label) would get around to his other concertante works - cello, violin.
I wonder what his op.152 Violin Concerto (not the Fantasiestuck which shares the same opus number) is like? Let's wish someone could excavate that score and produce a recording.

FBerwald

Can you elaborate "first three notes with his fists" ?

tpaloj

In his autobiography, Federic Cohen writes:
QuoteI knew many of this eminent musician's [Hiller's] compositions, and his F sharp minor Concerto was one of the pieces which every young student in Leipzig had to learn. The last movement was a particular favorite of ours, for we used to play the first three notes of the theme, whenever they occurred, with our fists instead of our fingers (that is to say, when our master was not looking), finding this much more effective than the ordinary way, though I doubt if Hiller himself would have appreciated the little joke.
;D