Bluebell Klean - mysterious English composer

Started by Marcus, Saturday 13 March 2010, 11:57

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Or maybe the spoof was carried out by the authentic parties.  (I get it now.  Klean.  Beaver.)  ::)

giles.enders

I did most of the research on Bluebell Klean including the discovery of two portraits of her at Wigmore hall  (Bechstein Hall)  Her given names were Isobel Maud, and somehow her name was changed on the National census form. I have since discovered that she died in December 1950.  She was trained at Trinity College, London under Samuel Coleridge-Taylor.  I suspect her music was not very good.
Giles Enders

giles.enders

One further update on Bluebell K.  She died in Hastings on December 9th 1950.  There is no trace of a will and probate was not sought.  Two of her brothers have descendents who are around today.

edurban

Bless the woman, if nothing else she's got 2 pages of posts here.  There are better (presumably) composers who've had less...

David

giles.enders

Though none with a name like Bluebell. 
This site is after all about unsung composers and as no one seems to know any of her works we are in no position to judge.  There are one or two ms about which as far as I know have never been looked at. If you could suggest any good unsung composers of classical or romantic piano concertos, I would be glad to hear about them. There are at least ten that I have never included on my web site for lack of any authentication and some that are who need a lot more investigation. 
I would add that one reason that I have researched Bluebell is that she was based in London as I am and I can do the foot work.  Having done a lot of research on piano concertos, I am troubled by the lack of original research, it seems that much of what is out there is one person quoting another, regardless of the fact that the original source might have got things wrong or as is often the case put a personal slant on things.

eschiss1

Quote from: giles.enders on Sunday 11 July 2010, 14:43
Though none with a name like Bluebell. 
This site is after all about unsung composers and as no one seems to know any of her works we are in no position to judge.  There are one or two ms about which as far as I know have never been looked at. If you could suggest any good unsung composers of classical or romantic piano concertos, I would be glad to hear about them. There are at least ten that I have never included on my web site for lack of any authentication and some that are who need a lot more investigation. 
I would add that one reason that I have researched Bluebell is that she was based in London as I am and I can do the foot work.  Having done a lot of research on piano concertos, I am troubled by the lack of original research, it seems that much of what is out there is one person quoting another, regardless of the fact that the original source might have got things wrong or as is often the case put a personal slant on things.

Well, for a lot of us, Rufinatscha is in the same territory unless we get in touch with the Rufinatscha museum or until Chandos starts creating/releasing their CDs, increasing exponentially the possibility of his works being broadcast and actually heard by more than a small subhandful of the subhandful of people who participate in this forum.  (There are those who would argue that a classical music fanatic on a budget is not a classical music fanatic, to which I have no response :) ) Apologies for thread drift... :)
Eric

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThis site is after all about unsung composers and as no one seems to know any of her works we are in no position to judge.  There are one or two ms about which as far as I know have never been looked at.

If you know the whereabouts of these MSS, Giles, I would be very interested to see them.

JimL

Great to have a couple of men of action around, you two!  Sometimes I wish I lived over there, or on the Continent. ;D

giles.enders

To continue the Bluebell saga.  I understand the Bournemouth Orchestra no longer have an historical archive, which is a scandal in itself as it is arguable that they premiered more interesting works than any other orchestra particularly in Dan Godfrey's time.  There is mention of Bluebell in a book about him or the orchestra, I have forgotten which. If any of her larger works exist I suspect they will be with family.  I do have a family tree supplied  by someone in the US.

swanekj

The Musical Times 12/1/1906

"CHAMBER CONCERTS. Miss Bluebell Klean, a native of London, who gave her first chamber concert on November 13, at Bechstein Hall, claims special attention, as the programme consisted almost entirely of her own compositions. The most important of these was a Quintet in C minor for pianoforte and strings, which proved a pleasing and genial work based on melodious themes, which are tersely and clearly developed with admirable perception of effectiveness and contrast. Six songs from the same pen, and some short and bright pianoforte pieces, show considerable originality in their harmonic scheme and avoidance of conventionality, while the songs, severally named ' Open the door,' ' Come to me' and ' The water-sprite,' should find publishers. They were charmingly sung by Miss Esther Palliser, and the pianoforte pieces were expressively played by Miss Johanna Heymann. The Quintet was excellently rendered by the Hans Wessely Quartet, with the composer at the pianoforte."

eschiss1

also, Johanna Heymann mentioned above had earlier performed a work by Klean, the Bluebell Gavotte, at one of the Proms (30/9/1902) - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/archive/search/performance_find.shtml?tab=search&sub_tab=composer&work_id=21021&from=1890&to=2011. (The Bournemouth Orchestra does not have a historical archive alas but the Proms do...)

albion

An extensive and fascinating article by John France can be found in the 2011 Spring/ Summer edition of Signature - Women in Music:

Bluebell Klean - Composer, pianist, champion angler

http://www.maudpowell.org/signature/Portals/0/pdfs/signature/SignatureSpringSummer2011.pdf - scroll down to page 49.

There is also much else of interest!

Previous online issues of the magazine are also available - http://www.maudpowell.org/signature/PreviousIssues/tabid/55/Default.aspx

:)

FBerwald

Just to see...  :D Has there been any progress in tracking this elusive composer?

Alan Howe