Fibich Vol.5 from Naxos

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 08 May 2020, 16:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Joachim Raff

Even though i welcome the recordings of Fibich's work, i have been disappointed in substandard performances by orchestra/conductor. Its a shame because i think Naxos sound has been top drawer.  I am not going to dismiss this issue containing the 3rd Symphony as i have not sampled it yet. I will say though, its going to be a mighty performance to better Karel Šejna, Czech Philharmonic 1960's recording on Supraphon. I have to find a version with the same intensity and feeling for the piece.

Alan Howe

This CD features a different orchestra, though.

Joachim Raff

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 08 May 2020, 23:17
This CD features a different orchestra, though.

Any ideas why the orchestra has been changed? I have heard of lots of inconsistencies with the Czech National Symphony Orchestra. I know the conductor is well thought of and touted as a rising star.

Alan Howe

No idea. The orchestra on the first four releases wasn't universally liked by the critics, although MusicWeb applauded them. Anyway, all that matters is quality.

Kevin

As much as I love Fibich(he's my favourite unsung composer) I'm afraid I won't be getting this. I'm quite happy with the Chandos recordings. Also, I have all the fillers - nothing new for me to sink my teeth in.

semloh

Kevin

I couldn't resist, not when it comes to Fibich. Speaking of just the Symphony(I haven't listened to the other items)the playing of The Janacek Philharmonic is impressive and Stilec brings out tiny details in the orchestration I wasn't aware of before and paces the whole thing quite well. Recorded sound is very vivid. I think my preliminary verdict is it's a winner. I've just got to say what an awesome symphony this is.

Revilod

Thanks for that, Kevin. I've been listening to and enjoying Fibich's operas lately but not the symphonies. Would this disc be a good starting point? How does it compare with other performances?

Kevin

This is an excellent performance of the 3rd Symphony, you can't wrong with it. But I would still strongly recommended the Jaarvi recordings(Chandos) for all three symphonies. I've found Stilec's symphonic poems to uniformly good as well:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7922825--fibich-complete-symphonies

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8042347--zden-k-fibich-orchestral-works-vol-3

Paul Barasi

It would be gr8 to hear how others rate the various conductors/orchestras doing Fibich. Not that his orchestral music should present much of a difficulty to perform or throws up significant scope for interpretation. But discussing the relative merits of the various renditions would help fill in some of the huge conversation on Fibich that a few of us dare think still needs to take place on this site.

Joachim Raff

This is something else! The contrast between the first four volumes and this is remarkable. The performance is spot on, vivid, detailed and plenty of Czech spirit. Looks like Naxos have the recording balance just right as well. This knocks the spots off all previous digital recordings. I truly recommend   

Alan Howe

Better than Albrecht? If so, in what way?

Joachim Raff

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 15 June 2020, 20:57
Better than Albrecht? If so, in what way?
Yes, the detail in the recording is considerable greater. The dynamics, acoustics of the recording are also considerably greater. The performance seems cleaner and more polished. The performance grips you from beginning to the end. Only Sejna (1960) beats it for me for performance, but only just.
Sarka Overture and the fill ups are of same quality as well.
I would even stretch and say absolutely MARVELLOUS 

Alan Howe

Sounds really great. I'll include it in my next order - thanks for your assessment.