'Beethoven's World' vol.3: Voříšek, Hummel & Salieri

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 22 May 2020, 17:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

'Beethoven's World' vol.3 containing Voříšek's Symphony in D, Hummel's Double Concerto for Violin & Piano in G and Salieri's 26 Variations on 'La folia di Spagna' is announced for release on 29th May:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/anton-eberl-symphonie-nr-4-d-moll-op-34/hnum/9629789

It seems from the url/web address that Eberl's 4th Symphony was originally intended for this release, as we thought.

Joachim Raff

Interesting release and has to be commended. Not sure if i will be purchasing as i have Thomas Hengelbrock's superb rendition somewhere in my collection. Without a doubt, anyone who has not a copy of Voříšek's Symphony is missing out. Marvellous comes to mind!

Joachim Raff

Richard Wigmore (Gramophone) wrote a favourable review in September's mag. Not that i generally agree with critics/reviewer, but i have to with this disc. Vorisek is the highlight. Goebel and his band bring a flamboyant display to proceedings. The sound is forward, detailed and supremely well balanced. The scherzo and finale never sounded so upbeat and exciting. Worth a purchase if you do not have these works. Probably the best release in this Beethoven's World cycle to date.   

Alan Howe

It's on my radar. Thanks for the reminder. What did you think of the Salieri?

Joachim Raff

The Salleri is a light experimental type piece. A Forrest Gump piece. You never know whats coming next , its always a surprise. Totally original and so charming. The strings with a timpani seem a bit heavy at times but have impact value. I love the harp interjections which are very quirky. Its totally up my street. I love this light music, you never get bored.
I would buy the disc for this alone. Its like an overture to the rest of the disc. The performances are top notch.

Alan Howe

redieze

Sir Charles Mackerras recorded the Vorisek Sy (+Arriaga one)for Hyperion !

Alan Howe

Yes, you're right. But it's the coupling here that's of interest, as well as Goebel's take on the Voříšek.

Alan Howe

...and Goebel's performance of Voříšek's Symphony in D of 1823 is breathtaking - HIP, but not ideologically so, and superbly played by the WDR Symphony Orchestra of Cologne. I'd say it's the finest ever recorded, raising the status of the work to a whole new level.

Incidentally, Schubert's Unfinished was written at roughly the same time. Interesting.

hyperdanny

I concur wholeheartedly with Alan: I could never quite "love" the Vorisek until this recording, which is just perfect. In this series I find that Goebel has really struck a perfect compromise between (non-dogmatic) period practice and the bigger sound of a modern orchestra. The best of both worlds.

Alan Howe

britishcomposer

Dear members,
You may be interested to know that mdr kultur will live broadcast a performance of the Vorisek symphony this evening. The conductor will be no less than Herbert Blomstedt!
https://www.mdr.de/kultur/radio/ipg/sendung-592198_days-true_ipgctx-true_zc-f9c202c7.html

Mark Thomas

I haven't listened to Vorisek's Symphony for years. There was a time maybe 20 years ago when it was played (or at least broadcast) quite frequently, but those days are long past. Back then I felt that it didn't warrant the exposure it was getting, but I have to agree with what others here have written - Goebel's performance is terrific, investing the work with an energy and stature which I'm sure I never suspected before. What a revelation.

Alan Howe

It just shows what can be achieved when HIP practices are pursued in a non-doctrinaire manner.

hyperdanny

About the Salieri: maybe you know it already, but the WDR put a video (live performance) of it on YT, and it's lovely: the passion and concentration of the Cologne musicians are a joy to see, and Goebel is clearly enjoying himself.
Actually, this series had me totally reassess Reinhard Goebel; to me he was one the High Priests of the German HIP, a little too "old guard" and strict for my taste...and here we have a guy who masters with authority and above all expressivity the Big Band and the Early Romantics in a way that failed many others who tried this jump. It's very nice to be surprised in this way!