Gorgeous String Quartet Slow Movements.

Started by John H White, Monday 20 September 2010, 12:10

Previous topic - Next topic

John H White

I'd like to start the ball rolling here with the Adagio non troppo from Franz Lachner's quartet in E minor, Op. 173. Generally speaking, I would say that in the field of chamber music, Franz is generally rather less melodious than his more conservatively minded kid brother, Ignaz, but hear he excels himself in beauty of melodic line.

Peter1953

I like to make a strong case for the 3rd movement of Rubinstein's String Quartet No. 2 in C minor, op. 17 No. 2. A most beautiful, only 3:20 lasting Molto Lento.

febnyc

Here's one from left field:  Eugène d'Albert, String Quartet No.1, Second Movement (Langsam, mit Ausdruck).  Lovely.

eschiss1

A few of mine, subjective of course...-
*from Wilhelm Stenhammar's 3rd and 4th string quartets (as I mentioned in another thread a few days back). The former is a set of variations in B-flat minor ending in a very effective ostinato. The latter alternates a quiet A major main section with an increasingly agitated minore- sort of. Both descriptions are sort of bare-bones and not quite right- the use of pizzicati and wandering chromatic lines in the 4th's slow movement to highlight the returns of the main theme are memorable...
*the slow movements from both Franz Schmidt string quartets :) (no surprise!)
*the Adagio from Antonio Scontrio's string quartet in G minor
*probably all four of the Fuchs quartets slow movements but especially that of the 4th (haven't heard the 5th, if there is a 5th and it's not just a note in the Austrian Library Catalog)
*perhaps Rheinberger, 2nd string quartet
*several better-known examples - Beethoven op.131/iv certainly , and some wonderful ones from Mozart and all 3 from Brahms' string quartets; also Mendelssohn op.80/iii (3rd movement, that is).

Alan Howe

I must agree with John's assessment of the Adagio non troppo of Franz Lachner's Quartet, Op.173 - almost Schubertian in its loveliness, although actually rather sweeter and more Romantic. Exceptional stuff.

eschiss1

adding to my list belatedly - the slow movement of Elgar's string quartet. Not unsung (... not as well-known as I think it should be :) - but the title didn't ask for unsung. Getting by on a technicality.) - but one gorgeous, serene, sometimes sad and mostly peaceful (piacevole indeed) movement...

Eric

John H White

Following on from what Alan said about the slow movement of Franz Lachner's Op 173, I would say that his A major quartet Op 76 is pure Schubert from beginning to end. No doubt he wrote it as a tribute to his good friend who died so young.
By the way, if we don't confine ourselves to unsung composers, I think the Largo from Haydn's string quartet  in D Op 76 No 5 should surely be included.

eschiss1

Quote from: John H White on Saturday 16 October 2010, 11:05
Following on from what Alan said about the slow movement of Franz Lachner's Op 173, I would say that his A major quartet Op 76 is pure Schubert from beginning to end. No doubt he wrote it as a tribute to his good friend who died so young.
By the way, if we don't confine ourselves to unsung composers, I think the Largo from Haydn's string quartet  in D Op 76 No 5 should surely be included.
one of brother Ignaz Lachner's quartets made me think of pure Haydn ( ... in style), but that's digressing. ... sorry.

febnyc

Another nomination:  Villa-Lobos' String Quartet No.1 - Third Movement (Canto Lirico).

Four of the six movements in this lovely quartet are slow and melodic.

febnyc

I have been working my way through the String Quartets of László Lajtha, on Hungaroton.  Lajtha's music - his orchestral works - never have done much for me.  The Symphonies are OK, some outshine others, but they've never really captured my attention.  Now I have come across his 10th Quartet and really am stunned.

This work is in three movements, each of which is heavily laden with folk music.  The opening of the Quartet features the viola singing a gorgeous melody.  The other two movements are equally as graceful and echo Eastern European themes throughout.  Here is a deeply obscure chamber work which is bound to enchant the listener.

The notes to the disc contain a fairly long quote from a letter Lajtha wrote to his sons, explaining his music in this 10th Quartet.  It is a fascinating thing to read - especially where the composer compares the lyrical part at the beginning to "anything written, even by Beethoven."

All the other Lajtha Quartets are marvelous - better, in this opinion, than the orchestral music we hear on the Marco Polo series.  But this 10th Quartet is a real discovery.

petershott@btinternet.com

I fully agree with you, febnyc. The Lajtha quartets are both lovely and exciting. Volume 3 of the Hungaroton series performed by the Auer Quartet is on my short (long!) list so I haven't yet heard the 10th. But your remarks lead me to move that disc further up the list. Volumes 1 and 2 are super, and (yet again) I can't understand why Lajtha isn't better known.

And, dammit, the Auer Quartet gave a concert close to me in Suffolk a couple of week's ago - and I couldn't get there!

I've also much enjoyed the Marco Polo symphonies. Given them another try!

Peter

febnyc

Thanks, Peter, for the comments.  I venture to say that if you designate Volumes 1 and 2 as "super," you will have to find a better adjective for Volume 3.   ;)

I do listen to the Lajtha Symphonies - maybe after hearing the beautiful 10th Quartet I will feel more sympathetic to them and their composer!