News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Reinecke Piano Concertos

Started by JimL, Sunday 14 November 2010, 16:02

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

I'm just going from memory, Eric.  From what I can recall of the liner notes of the cpo, the writer said "unpublished".  However, he could have been referring only to the orchestral score.

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 04 December 2010, 15:27
I'm just going from memory, Eric.  From what I can recall of the liner notes of the cpo, the writer said "unpublished".  However, he could have been referring only to the orchestral score.
I believe the orchestral score and parts remain in manuscript but I may be mistaken. Kistner did however publish a reduction around 1873, as confirmed(?) additionally by Worldcat (so far as Worldcat confirms anything - ultimately one wants to go deeper, of course.)

See http://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Concerto_No.2,_Op.120_%28Reinecke,_Carl%29 for the 2-piano reduction (104 pages) in PDF form.  No one has yet uploaded or typeset the manuscript full score or parts (besides the piano solo part which was published separately around the same time as the reduction, I believe; Danish Union library does have that) to the same site or published them elsewhere to my knowledge.

reineckeforever

hi,
after an accurate reading of all the posts on reinecke's PC, i would like to suggest an argument.
Apart the strong relationship between the beginnings of Reinecke's PC3 and Beethoven PC4, what do you think about the tonal relationship in the 3rd movement? the starting on the 4th grade of the theme, exactly as in Beethoven PC4th?
I'm interested inreading your opinion and excuse me for my bad english
Personally, as a remake of Beethoven PC4th...I prefer Brull PC2nd.
Andrea

marinomau

I think that Reinecke's are amongst the most pleasurable piano concertos ever written.
In my previous life I only listened to Schumann, Chopin and Mendelssohn piano concertos, now I can't imagine my life without the Hyperion Romantic Piano Concertos and other unsung concertos. My favourites are Schellendorf's, Stavenhagen's, Rheinberger's.

JimL

Quote from: reineckeforever on Monday 11 July 2011, 17:59
hi,
after an accurate reading of all the posts on reinecke's PC, i would like to suggest an argument.
Apart the strong relationship between the beginnings of Reinecke's PC3 and Beethoven PC4, what do you think about the tonal relationship in the 3rd movement? the starting on the 4th grade of the theme, exactly as in Beethoven PC4th?
I'm interested inreading your opinion and excuse me for my bad english
Personally, as a remake of Beethoven PC4th...I prefer Brull PC2nd.
Andrea
Very astute of you to note the tonal relationships to Beethoven's 4th PC.  Myself, I find the relationship between the openings of Brull's 2nd and Beethoven's 4th to be somewhat stronger (with maybe a little reference to the Beethoven VC as well?)  However, when it comes to finales there is a strong affinity between Reinecke 3 and Beethoven 4.  The beginning of the principle theme in the sub-dominant is a noteworthy similarity.  However, Reinecke uses the tonic of the piece as a dominant preparation for the theme, and extends the resolution to the actual tonic of the piece all the way to the first tutti, whereas Beethoven's theme simply starts on the subdominant and winds up resolving on the tonic pretty quickly.

reineckeforever

Yes JimL...the relationship between the concertos is strong but not complete....for me it is a great pleasure talking about this music. I live in Sassari, North Sardinia...in 1981, for my degree exam in Piano, i played Reicneke's PC 1(listened on Rai3 in the Robbins' version and founded in the State library of Munchen).
Nobody among the board of examiners knew it....
About "remake" of Piano Concertos....can you think we can open a forum?
BR, Andrea

reineckeforever

hi...again about Reinecke's PC.
I think that there is a strong relationship between the Coda of the first movement of PC 1(after the cadenza) and the same part of Schumann PC...faster tempo...use of neapoletan sixth harmony...and the last 4 chords..(I love the anticipation by the piano of the last f sharp....)
Again, in the second PC, 2nd movement,the dialogue between Piano and orchestra remembers second movement of schumann, in a expanded form...and what say about 2nd idea in e minor with cellos?...in Schumann in c major..!! The marvellous 3rd movement of reinecke 2nd hasn't strong relationship with schumann's  PC...but there is something of familiar in the incipit of 2nd idea....only the incipt...in 3/2 tempo as in schumann....and the coda...c sharp minor  instead of d---a major of schumann coda sounds very similar to schumann coda, in its beauty and originality
what do you think about?
bye, andrea