Florence Price - the darling of BBC Radio 3

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 05 February 2021, 22:51

Previous topic - Next topic

John Boyer

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 22 January 2022, 21:00

I have [...] adjusted my view of Price's symphonies somewhat. What I still find incongruous are the Juba scherzos after the long, often languorous opening two movements; and even more disappointing are the 5-minute long, dash-for-the-exit finales. They're just too inconsequential (for me).

No: this isn't great music (IMHO). But it is hugely enjoyable, especially in this new DG release.

I listened to the 1st and 4th again.  I liked them both much more this time around -- I guess she does grow on you.  But she puts all her eggs in the baskets of the first movements.  The following movements, as Alan points out, don't hold up to the promise of opening movements, which are the most thoroughly worked out and which give each symphony a pleasing first impression.  If they are too reminiscent of Dvorak -- well, there are far worse models.  A little ersatz Dvorak never hurt anyone.  Using the juba as her dance movement misfires to the same degree as certain Jazz Age composers who tried to introduce fox trots or similar popular dances into the jacket of a symphony. 

So, not bad by any means, but I still feel more and more let down as each symphony progresses toward its end. 

eschiss1

... i know you mean among other things, but a foxtrot movement in a symphony makes me think of a work much later than Jazz Age (sym.7 by Kalevi Aho)... maybe there are earlier examples (Antheil maybe?... he did write a 1 movement Jazz Symphony.) :)