Unsung masterpieces by sung composers

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 20 November 2010, 17:57

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Quote from: Amphissa on Wednesday 24 November 2010, 05:29

Just because it has received some recordings does not mean  it has been heard by a lot of people. We all know how abysmally low classical sales are. Most people I know are unfamiliar with either The Bells or Piano Sonata No. 1.

but let's not also raise the bar to the point where 'sung' refers only to Beethoven's 5th and the Toccata and Fugue that is wrongly attributed to JS Bach :)

jerfilm

A work I come back to again and again is Rachmaninoff's Cello Sonata.   He was the consumate piano composer and when I hear things like this, I think, this probably should have been named Piano Sonata with cello accompaniment.......

But this issue of what's unsung by sung composers may be a geographical issue as well.   Despite having a world class orchestra in Minnesota, I can't remember the last time they played anything by an unsung.   Let alone an unsung by a sung.  Maybe the Gurrelieder, and that was probably 15 years ago.   Sea Drift and that was 30 years ago.

So Alan and Gareth and maybe others from the UK will probably laugh at this, but at the top of my list would be The Dream of Gerontius.  Someone asks my favorite choral work and I name it, they just give me a stupid look, like "Whaaaat?"

I ramble, sorry.

Amphissa

I agree that there is regional difference in repertoire. I've noticed that The Bells got played at the Proms a couple of times. And British orchestras have a long history of recording unsungs.

Over the past 25 years, I have lived in New York and San Francisco, attended the symphony in Washington DC, Chicago, Atlanta, Nashville and Houston. I have never seen Kullervo or The Bells on a series program of any of these U.S. orchestras. That doesn't mean they've never been played by these orchestras, but not during the years I've received their program schedules.

Revilod

Quote from: JSK on Wednesday 24 November 2010, 01:10
Rimsky Korsakov's piano concerto, sadko, and opera suites, especially Christmas Eve.
Balakirev's First Symphony

I'm not sure that Balakirev's magnificent 1st Symphony is more unsung than most of his music but, referring to the thread on music that's not done at the Proms, I see that it's only ever been performed once...and that was in 1901!
"Tamara" is another wonderful and woefully neglected piece (last done at the Proms in 1945.)

eschiss1

I thought Washington DC did have at least one orchestra with a wide range of repertoire, but maybe I'm confused. (Am I thinking of the American Symphony or something else...)

Amphissa

The American Symphony Orchestra in New York, led by Botstein, has played quit a wide variety of unsung composers and music. I first heard Wellesz by this band, and the only Gliere I've ever heard performed in concert. A very fun group. Most of the musicians are faculty from the various schools of music in NY metro area, not full time orchestral musicians. So they really thrive on unusual fare.

eschiss1

Hrm. I will say in the National Symphony Orchestra's favor that they are performing works by Roussel (excerpts, admittedly) and Zemlinsky in this current season (also Silvestrov, but no one's perfect. Messiaen I sometimes like, but is outside scope of forum. http://www.kennedy-center.org/nso/schedule.html) (Mind, I live in central New York State and am unlikely to be attending...)

cjvinthechair

Hi, I'm new. Don't know if any of these qualify ?

Janacek - Otcenas
Saint-Saens - 4th PC
Rheinberger - organ concerti.

Am going to love logging in to all your discussions on Unsung Composers. So much to learn. Apologies if this post is inappropriate.

Mark Thomas

Welcome CJV. Why should your post be inappropriate?

cjvinthechair

Thank you, Sir !  I'm afraid that, though I know what I like musically, I've nothing to contribute in terms of understanding of a piece or why I appreciate it. Only finally started to learn to read music (to help with the singing I've at last taken up) 18 months ago, and am, after hundreds of hours, operating at only about 10/15%.
So, I'm loath to join in discussion by people with far more musical knowledge than I'll ever have, but reading the posts on a site like this, and maybe picking up the odd tip from contributors, is probably my best way forward. so, as long as it doesn't annoy anyone, i'll carry on blundering in ! 

petershott@btinternet.com

But Clive, you are an unnecessarily modest fellow! Given that I am apt to exclaim the wonders of Birtwistle along with those of Raff, I am more likely than you to annoy people on the site. And doing so does not worry me one jot. The golden rule is to be civil in our dialogues and to read carefully, and ponder upon, the contributions of others that may at first cause an eyebrow to be raised. All that is forbidden is an expression of 'Yah, that's just plain rubbish and is akin to a hyena's mating-call' where that expression is unsupported by any reasons and thus is nothing but crude prejudice. Note the banner at the top of the page saying 'for the open-minded classical music lover' - I don't like the word 'classical', but the message is clear enough.

And it is certainly not some highbrow site which seeks to exclude those, like me, with an inferior grasp of musical terminology or understanding of technical terms. True, there are some on the site who do certainly possess a knowledge or understanding of which I am envious. (We can learn from them, and are deeply grateful for their presence here). But what unites us all is an enthusiasm for music, a desire to infect others with that enthusiasm, and a belief that the list of the alleged 7 wonders of the world is seriously defective in not putting music at the top. For is not music, the putting together of organised sounds, and produced by scratching one thing against another, bashing on other things, or blowing down tubes of various diameters, and thereby affecting our senses so meaningfully, the most incredible and marvellous of things?

Ignore these confused ramblings about the metaphysics of music! The great thing about the site is the opportunity to find out what one didn't know before - whether it is a performance or recording of some previously obscure piece, an as yet to be discovered composer or work, or whatever - and to come away with one's knowledge enriched and thus be provided with opportunities for new kinds of rewarding musical experiences that one wouldn't have had unless a friend on the site had pointed them out to us. Thus coming on board is the best kind of medicine that will do you no end of good - and we warmly welcome you!

Peter

Alan Howe

Well said, Peter. And again, welcome,  cjvinthechair!

JimL

The only caveat I would mention Clive, is our preference for the Romantic period.  Thus, although somewhat tonal, Hovanhess is a bit marginal in his qualification for discussion here.

cjvinthechair

Gentlemen, thank you. Intend to enjoy learning what I can here, and will attempt not to infuriate too many along the way !
                Clive.

giles.enders