Novak Piano Concerto at last!

Started by Martin Eastick, Thursday 30 July 2020, 13:53

Previous topic - Next topic

CelesteCadenza

The same pianist and orchestra as in the new recording can be heard with Ondrej Lenárd conducting in a live performance recorded on 30 April 2018 in the Rudolfinum (Prague). In the Downloads section:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,7926.0.html

Joachim Raff

Jan Bartoš (piano)
Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra
Jakub Hruša
Catalogue No: SU42842
Label: Supraphon

Just listened to this recording and its a mixed bag in content and performances. One has to ask why there are few recordings of his Piano Concerto. Its Romantic through and through. Definitely Lisztian but undertones from his mentor Dvorak. When listening, it becomes clear this is different idiom to his later orchestral pieces. Immature and unoriginal in composition but the guy was probably developing within himself. The PC tends to ramble and does not generate energy or colour. I was disappointed with one exception. The slow movement has some beautiful moments with glimmers of his incredible artistic talent. If you like your music sentimental, sweet as a sugar plum its well up your street.  The performances are safe as it gets. Technically proficient. Oh god, why didn't they let rip a little more? It would of made all the difference.
The fill ups are interesting. The solo piano piece "At Dusk" is a lovely piece. Well worth a listen and many will think this is the highlight of the disc.
The wood nymph has been recorded before and this recording is technically better but its so safe and stiff again. When listening to the earlier  František Jílek, Brno Philharmonic Orchestra recording on the same label, it is clear there is more feeling and openness in approach.
Is it worth a purchase?
Yes, for the interest aspect of a rarity being recorded. No, in the respect that this work will not set any fireworks off. Personally, i do like the beautiful central slow movement but the rest is simply a walk in the park or supermarket.   

eschiss1

Then again, some works of his that are imhonesto extremely exciting and memorable indeed (and much easier to program, requiring many fewer players) (eg: his late cello sonata) have received just as many recordings (i.e. 2.)

Alan Howe

I'm much more enthusiastic about the PC and am very much looking forward to the new release. After all, Scriabin's PC is also early and untypical - and beautiful throughout. Judge the work for yourself before considering whether or not to buy the new CD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TITh5lXxiE&t=35s

Alan Howe

Well, it may not be a masterpiece and, being early, it's entirely untypical of Novák's mature output, but this is a thoroughly enjoyable, tuneful late-romantic piano concerto which could (and should) have been included ages ago in Hyperion's PRC series. Anyone the least bit curious is going to take enormous pleasure in making its acquaintance.

semloh

Completely agree, Alan. I am always at a loss to understand how such works have failed to become mainstream.