Bruch Symphonies 1-3 (cpo)

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 20 March 2020, 10:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I'm still waiting for a digital release, if any ones has details about that please post it here. Thanks.

I'ts not even on Spotify at the moment. Speaking of Spotify I hope people have tried it because I've found it a nice little program.

Ilja

CPO releases generally appear on Spotify with a 2-month (or thereabouts) delay. Now always though; depends on the agreement between CPO and the orchestra.

Mark Thomas

Spotify generally adds new releases at the same time as their digital retail release (in the case of cpo usually a couple of months after the physical one). I use the service all the time now to audition new digital purchases.

Kevin

This set releases next week Friday digitally(3 July) I can't wait.

TerraEpon

Is there a reason this topic is sticky? (I assume someone hit the wrong button...)

To keep on topic, thanks Kevin. Can't wait to sample this juicy sounding release...

Mark Thomas

Kevin

Do yourself a favour and take your old sets of Bruch Symphonies down from the shelf and put them in the cupboard because the new CPO set is now the definite performances of these works available. There's a nice Elgarian swagger in the fast movements and an almost Brucknerian serenity in the slow movements. I've never heard these works more convincingly played, they deserve to be in the repertory in all the major orchestras. Rich full sound too, captures tiny details in orchestration that went unnoticed in previous releases. Recommended!

Alan Howe

That's my assessment too. It's a wonderful set for all the reasons Kevin states.

semloh

Thanks. It's just what I was hoping. But, there's so much music to listen to, I don't know how anyone finds the time! :D

semloh

There's an informative and fascinating article about Bruch in the current issue of Gramophone Magazine, and also a review by Richard Bratby of this recording of the symphonies. To quote:

This is music of rolling vistas, sunlit hillsides and good wine, and the sound of the Bambergers suits it beautifully. The strings have a satin sheen (for silk you'll need to go to Masur and the Gewandhaus, still the benchmark in these works) and the all-important inner-voice blend of cellos, clarinets and horns gives the overall tone quality an unforced radiance. Trevino caresses those inner voices, shaping phrases with feeling but generally finding the right moment to pick up the tempo and start tightening the argument.

Kevin

Here's the gramophone review(hit the refresh button a few times if it doesn't work)

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/bruch-symphonies-nos-1-3-trevino

Alan Howe

No luck with that here. But I'd read the hard copy anyway.

FBerwald

Has anyone heard this set - 
Bruch: Symphony No. 2 & Violin Concerto No. 3
Andreas Krecher (violin), Wuppertal Symphony Orchestra, Georg Hanson
bruch" border="0
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8619084--bruch-symphony-no-2-violin-concerto-no-3

Alan Howe

It's a reissue, of course, bringing together two separately released CDs. Here's a very favourable review at MusicWeb of Symphony No.2/VC3:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2000/mar00/bruch.htm