Good deals (Edit - US customers only?...sorry)

Started by monafam, Saturday 20 June 2009, 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

monafam

I had an e-mail based on registering for Classicsonline.com and there were a lot of $2.99 CDs on naxosdirect.   Everyone may know it -- or not need it, but I thought I'd share.

monafam

If this isn't something that is appropriate for the board just let me know.  I happened upon it when I was replying and thought I'd make you aware.

I went ahead and ordered some CDs.  I've only heard of a couple of these composers and those were just through this board.  I'd be interested to know if you know any more about these composers...it's possible I inadvertently ordered one that is a DVD.

LEVY: Cello Concerto / Symphony No. 3 / A Summer Overture
STRONG: Symphony No. 2, 'Sintram' / Chorale
HAILSTORK: Symphonies Nos. 2 and 3
HADLEY: Symphony No. 4 / The Ocean / The Culprit Fay
FLAGELLO: Symphony No. 1 / Theme, Variations and Fugue
GROFE: Grand Canyon
KALOMIRIS: Symphony No. 3 / Triptychon / 3 Greek Dances

Kevin Pearson

Could you provide a direct link to where the $2.99 stuff is? I have tried looking at the site but can't find those. Help would be appreciated.

Kevin

monafam

I apologize to non-US residents, but it is apparently for US customers only.    :(

Kevin Pearson

Thanks for the link! Here's what I ordered:

SZYMANOWSKI: Symphonies Nos. 3 and 4 / Concert Overture
STRONG: Symphony No. 2, 'Sintram' / Chorale 
A KE: Violin Concerto
LEES: Symphony No. 4, 'Memorial Candles'
PISTON: Chamber Music
FOOTE: Piano Quintet Op. 38 / String Quartets Opp. 32 and 70
LEVY: Cello Concerto / Symphony No. 3 / A Summer Overture
STRONG: Ondine / From a Notebook of Sketches, Suites 1-3
BAUER: Orchestral and Chamber Works
MUCZYNSKI: Works for Flute (Complete)
CHADWICK: Thalia / Melpomene / Euterpe
HADLEY: Symphony No. 4 / The Ocean / The Culprit Fay
COATES, G: String Quartets Nos. 2, 3, 4, 7 and 8
WILLSON, M.: Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2
HANSON: Piano Sonata / Poemes erotiques / For the First Time 
SEREBRIER: Symphony No. 3 / Elegy for Strings / Fantasia 
SUK: Six Piano Pieces / De Maman / Moods
VIVALDI: Chamber Concertos 
SERRA: Orchestral Works 
ISASI: Symphony No. 2, Op. 23 / Suite No. 2, Op. 21 
MOROI: Symphony No. 3, Op. 25 / Sinfonietta, Op. 24 / Two Symphonic Movements, Op. 22 
MATSUDAIRA: Bugaku Dance Suite / Theme and Variations for Piano and Orchestra 
NORWEGIAN PIANO MUSIC 
KUHLAU: Flute Sonatas Op. 83 
SPOHR: String Quintets Op. 33, Nos. 1 and 2 
BERWALD: Piano Trio in C Major / Piano Trio No. 4   
HOFMANN: Flute Concertos, Vol. 2 
DVORAK: String Quartets No. 1, Op. 2 and No. 6, Op. 12 
VILLA-ROJO: Concierto Plateresco / Serenata / Concierto 2 
HOTTETERRE: Music for Flute, Vol. 2
VIVALDI: Flute Concerti, Op. 10 
Dmitry SHOSTAKOVICH: Jazz Suites Nos. 1 & 2 

monafam

Glad you could take part.   I probably should have gotten more, but I already told my wife what I was spending.   ;D

Kevin Pearson

Quote from: monafam on Saturday 20 June 2009, 22:08
Glad you could take part.   I probably should have gotten more, but I already told my wife what I was spending.   ;D

See! Now that's where you went wrong!  :D I ordered and then told her I ordered but never told her how much!  ;D I use the old "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" method!

Kevin

monafam

See! Now that's where you went wrong!  :D I ordered and then told her I ordered but never told her how much!  ;D I use the old "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" method!

Kevin

I should have gone that route!  Granted...I do wear the pants in my family....as long as she says I can.   8)

John H White

I recently signed up for a similar Naxos offer in the UK but haven't yet made use of it.

Hovite

Quote from: Kevin Pearson on Saturday 20 June 2009, 21:58
MOROI: Symphony No. 3, Op. 25 / Sinfonietta, Op. 24 / Two Symphonic Movements, Op. 22

Moroi's Two Symphonic Movements (1942), Sinfonietta For Children (1943), and Symphony No. 3 (1944) are quite astonishingly good music, inhabiting much the same sound world as Sibelius. I can only assume that the fact that they were written in Japan during the Second World War has prevented their acclamation. Moroi was influenced by Bruckner, and this is particularly noticeable in the texture of the first of the Two Symphonic Movements: Andante grandioso. Unfortunately, the Symphony No. 3 takes imitation of Bruckner to an absurd degree by having just three movements, and ending in an Adagio, just like headless torso of Bruckner's Symphony No. 9 that still remains the standard performing version. There are apparently four other symphonies and several concerti, mostly written and first performed in Nazi Germany, which possibly explains their neglect.

From the Naxos notes:

"Feeling that his compositional skills were not fully developed, Moroi went to Germany in 1932 to study at the Berlin Musikhochschule under Leo Schrattenholz (who had been an assistant to Karl Leopold Wolf, during the distinguished Japanese composer Kôsçak Yamada's period of study with him) and Walter Gmeindl. Greatly stimulated by the music of Bruckner and Hindemith, he returned to Japan in 1934, now a mature composer, both technically and mentally, with his Berlin days a great turning-point in his creative career."

http://www.naxos.com/composerinfo/Saburo_Moroi/27257.htm

From a review:

"Moroi more subtly incorporates Eastern music elements in his Two Symphonic Movements. The first, a powerfully effective sonata-allegro, opens with a sternly stalking unison theme followed by a pentatonic second subject. The second movement's driving pace might suggest the rapid motion of some Japanese traditional music--if you happened to be looking for such a thing. But otherwise it calls to mind the music of César Franck, as does Symphony No. 3's smoldering first-movement introduction. However, the following tempestuous allegro sounds strikingly like one of Miaskovsky's early symphonies, while Moroi's long-breathed finale would appear to have taken the Adagio of Bruckner's Ninth as a model."

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=9244