News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Who was Ida Prade?

Started by ErlingI, Monday 10 August 2020, 23:23

Previous topic - Next topic

ErlingI

Hi. I Wonder of anyone knows about Ida Prade. I have her score op 1, «Bonheur Passe» , a fairly popular piece for piano. Did she compose more music? And where and when did she live?

I can see that her opus 1 was played at a concert 1907 in Bergen, Norway, with the title «Førsvunnen Lycka», a Swedish title. So perhaps she was from Sweden?

Someplace it is mentioned as a pseudonym, (Theodor Espen?),  but I have found no proof of this.

ErlingI

I have later read a Swedish article from 1978 as to who Ida Prade is: a composer called Carl Reinecke from Leipzig. The article mentions that he died in 1935.
But a composer, Carl Reinecke is well known, and died in Leipzig in 1910.
Are there two Carl Reineckes from Leipzig?
There is also a second score by Ida Prade: «Èin Seelenhauch» (soulmate) form 1895 (Hofmeister).
Does anyone know that score?

And is the composer of «Vergangenes Glück» from 1883, simply Carl Reinecke 1824(Altona) - 1910(Leipzig)?

Alan Howe

No: 'Vergangenes Glück' was composed by Ida Prade, but published by Gebrüder Reinecke (Reinecke Brothers, one of whom was Carl, the composer [1824-1910]):

Carl Reinecke (1824-1910), at an advanced age, and his brother operated this firm in Leipzig from 1890, but it was wound up after the premises were destroyed in 1943.
   The company published many works by Reinecke, songs and piano pieces by composers such as Josef Liebeskind and Arnoldo Sartorio, and string works by Moritz Scharf, Hans Sitt (violin), and Julius Klengel (cello) including Lyrica, a series of arrangements for cello (Klengel). There were some historic items, such as a series of Dittersdorf works to commemorate the 100th anniversary of his death in 1799 (see his Symphony in F major), and a book on the Mozart piano concertos. Production was fairly vigorous, for example 40 items in 1895.
https://imslp.org/wiki/Gebr%C3%BCder_Reinecke

ErlingI

Ok, Thanks for the answer, perhaps the Swedish article got it wrong then.
But it still leaves the question open as to who Ida Prade was.
A pseudonyme or a «real name»?

The fact that Reinecke was well established in North-Europe, (Grieg, Svendsen, and several other «nothern composers as students),and that he used pseudonyms in his compositions, and that «Vergangenes glück», got very popular in Scandinavia, is that not an indication that he still might be the man behind the score?
Or is there perhaps somewhere clear evidence as to who Ida Prade was?

Alan Howe

I'd suggest Ida Prade was a composer of salon pieces:

Alan Howe

Here's 'Vergangenes Glück', translated into French as 'Bonheur passé':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFIxkiTz40M