News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ernst Tschiderer

Started by Mark Thomas, Tuesday 16 December 2014, 07:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

On the evidence of these seven substantial works, Tschiderer was no mean composer. He was certainly a relatively conservative one, but not anachronistically so for his time. He was clearly no slouch when it came to orchestration, although don't expect the imagination of Raff, say. Although Joachim's style is rather more severe than Tschiderer's, I was reminded of his various overtures in their general seriousness of purpose and ability to maintain the listener's interest whilst lacking (at first hearing at least) any melodic "ear worms" to latch onto. As Tschiderer was an aristocrat and, I supposed, something of a dilettante composer, I had expected music which was shallow and derivative, but that's by no means the case. Certainly the early Concert Overture of 1860 is not much more than lively and light hearted, and Im Frühling's evocation of spring is vacuously pretty, but four of the pieces here have much more going for them. The Overture Werthers Leiden (The Sorrows of Werther), for example, is a convincingly angst-ridden portrait of Goethe's (and later Massenet's) suicidal lover. The later Symphonic Poems Medea and King Lear share sombre colouring, intensely dramatic passages and a certain nobility. The latter in particular reminded me of the kaleidoscopic shifts of colour, harmony and melody which characterise Raff's four Shakespeare preludes. The Concert Overture of 1867 has much more dramatic substance to it than its earlier namesake, but somehow the remaining work, the Overture Des Meeres und der Liebe Wellen, didn't make much of an impression on me. It's more meandering than these four, but it's by no means a bad piece of work. Ultimately, Tschiderer's music is not distinctive, but neither is it is easy to play the "sounds like" game. In that sense these pieces are anonymous, but in a good way.

For me, if only Tschiderer had been a stronger melodist then these overtures and symphonic poems would count amongst my major "finds" of 2014. As it is, I shall happily return to this CD, confident that I'll get more out of most of these pieces at each successive listen. The CD is still only €9 and I'd snap it up if you haven't already done so.

Alan Howe

Mark has got it right, I think. This CD is a bit of a mixed bag, but, at its best - i.e. in the four works mentioned by Mark (nos.3,5,6,7 in my list, above) - there is music of real interest and substance here. Certainly well worth anyone's nine euros!

I'd just add that there seems to me to be a certain Austrian sensibility at work here. The sonorous, brass-led climaxes certainly have a Brucknerian feel, even if the harmonic language is less chromatic. I don't hear much connection with the classical tradition of, say, Mendelssohn, Schumann or Brahms. I thought much the same of Pembaur...

Mark Thomas

Yes, I'd agree with Alan's second paragraph.

Just to round out the Tschiderer discussion, this CD of works for string orchestra by Tschiderer and Pembauer (together with Strauss' Metamorphosen and a 2007 piece which needn't trouble us here), reveals Tschiderer the relaxed melodist. His String Serenade of 1877 has five movements lasting 21 minutes or so. It's not in the same class as Tchaikovsky's or Dvorak's serenades of course, but it's a charming work with some nicely turned tunes. The two short Pembauer pieces are similarly melodious, and the Elegie in particular is quite deeply felt.

Gareth Vaughan

I see the CD is titled "Romantische Musik für Streichorchester aus Tirol". Is the 2007 piece in any way Romantic in style, as a matter of interest? (The available extracts are attractive, especially the Pembaur.)

Mark Thomas

It's Orakel für Streicher by Günter Zobl (b. 1973), Gareth. By no stretch of even a Tirolean imagination is it romantic in style. Unfortunately the booklet notes are all in German, and my German isn't up to discerning from them the reasoning behind including it in this CD. However, if you go here you can sample all the CD tracks, including Zobl's Orakel. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks, Mark. Very nasty indeed.

Mark Thomas

DennisS

In view of the positive comments made re- the Tschiderer symphonic poems CD, count me in too! Have just ordered the CD and at only 9 euros the CD, who can complain about the price? Pity though that there were no sound excerpts on the site. I always like to listen to sound bites before buying if possible. Brief excerpts don't always give one a true idea of the music's worth, but it's better than ordering blind. I look forward to receiving the CD soon. Tiroler-Landesmuseen do a good job of despatching the ordered CD/CDS quickly!

Alan Howe

I'm sure you'll enjoy the music, Dennis.

Mark Thomas

Thanks for taking us on trust Dennis! I have listened to these pieces again today, and my opinion has only been reinforced. This CD really is worth a punt.

flyingdutchman

Just listening to the samples of this composers music makes me look forward to the next sale there.  It's now back up to 18 euros.  I did get the Rufinacshata recordings.

Sharkkb8

For those of the iTunes download persuasion, the Tschiderer album of string orchestra Serenades is available, at least on USA iTunes.  And better yet, no "album-only" limitations, just the individual tracks of Herr Tschiderer can be downloaded (for USD $0.99 each)., thus avoiding buying the recorded train wreck of Mr. Zobl's Orakel.  (you could strike a match on that music)  ;)  Anyway, still searching for less-than-18-Euro recordings of the symphonic poem album, will report back if/when success is achieved.