Raff symphonies from Chandos

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 24 November 2010, 16:47

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Gosh, that is really something to look forward to, Mark.  ;)
Do you know when it is likely to appear on the shelf?

Mark Thomas

In a word, Colin, no. It's clearly some months away yet, though.

petershott@btinternet.com

Maybe just as well the new Raff series is being produced by Chandos, rather than, say, CPO - for I fear that with the latter's release times we might all well be advanced in our dotage before the next Raff symphony was released. Patience, Colin!

semloh

Yes, indeed. Better late than never! In any case, my funds are already promised to so many of the new CDs mentioned on UC. Santa's sack will be overflowing as it is!  :)

Mark Thomas

I understand that the next CD in the series, Symphony No.5 Lenore plus a plethora of Overtures, will be coming out in March next year, with the possibility of digital downloads being available a little earlier.

Alan Howe

raffite33

I guess everyone has seen the listing for the new Raff SACD on sacd.net, One Bit Audio, or elsewhere.  The first thing I noticed was the timings:  1st mvt:  10:29, 2nd mvt:  8:04, 3rd mvt:  9:13, 4th mvt:  11:53.  Considerably faster than even the Carthy recording on Dynamic, which, if I remember quickly, was said to be way too fast in the Raff Society site review.  I've always wondered, though, what timings the metronome markings on the score would indicate.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

I understand that there will be a volume 3, but that the recording sessions won't be until autumn next year, so it won't be published until 2016. I don't know the works to be recorded.

Mark Thomas

Apparently, the next CD in the series will pair the Symphony No.3 Im Walde with Symphony No.4.

DennisS

I hope you are right Mark even if we have to wait quite a while for the CD's appearance. I will be really looking forward to Järvi's take on Im Walde and it will be fascinating to see what tempi he adopts. It could be a very exciting performance indeed, especially as I have been listening a lot recently to Stadlmair's Im Walde. Whilst listening to Stadlmair, I was trying to imagine what the music would sound like if the movements were taken at faster speeds? Järvi's take, based on his performance of Lenore, could likewise be a revelation! We will have to see.

Alan Howe

Quote...the next CD in the series will pair the Symphony No.3 Im Walde with Symphony No.4

Now that's a wonderful prospect. It means that Järvi will have recorded the four greatest Raff symphonies.

Mark Thomas

Indeed. Järvi is obviously a man of discernment. But it would be good to hear what he does with, say Nos.8-10, which have some movements well up to the level of Nos.2-5, although that's not quite true of all of them in any of the first three of the seasons cycle..

Alan Howe

Agreed. Raff was clearly on a symphonic journey...

Gareth Vaughan

I look forward very much to Jarvi's 3 & 4. I suspect he may stop there, but I would be extremely interested in his take on No. 6 (should he choose to record it), which I have always felt was the least satisfying of Raff's symphonies.