News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Tchaikovsky PC2

Started by redieze, Monday 24 August 2020, 19:11

Previous topic - Next topic

redieze

Did you knew that secret jewel: Tchaikovski 2nd piano concerto...?recently discovered on radio (without composer's name aired before listening)but except for complete sets of his piano/orch.works, when have we chance to listen to it ? :'(

CelesteCadenza

There are actually several recordings of this concerto:
Fedoseyev/Philharmonia/Pletnev,
Ormandy/Philadelphia/Graffman
Rozhdestvensky/USSR/Zhukov
Vänskä/Minnesota/Hough [+ alternate 2nd Mvmnts /part of The Romantic Piano Concerto, Vol. 50]
Weller/BBC Wales/Lill

There may certainly be more, but these are those in my collection (in addition to a few live broadcast performances). No matter, it deserves to be heard more often.

redieze

for those interested (completist,me?) in PIT whole concertante works with piano:Oleg Marshev on Danacord (DACOCD586/587) added the andante & finale op.79,Concert Fantasia op.56 and Allegro in c minor (1863/64)with a danish provincial orchestra....

MartinH

I've loved this "unknown" Tchaikovsky concerto ever since the Graffman/Ormandy recording came out. Back then it really was obscure, and little did I know that they used the Siloti edition. I remember the first concert that I heard it played live at. The concert commentator gave a talk before the concert and when it got to the concerto said, and I can still quote it these 50 years later, "it's horrible. I'm sure glad I didn't write it!" That commentator was a composer/teacher who had only one of his many works ever recorded - and it's never been on CD. None of his music is played anywhere, not even at the institution he taught at. I bet he was insanely jealous that such a horrible concerto would be performed and recorded many times while his works lie dormant and probably always will.

TerraEpon

It would never occur to me that Tchaik's 2nd PC was 'unsung'. Not hugely popular like his first one, sure, but compared to something like The Snow Maiden, or Hamlet (incidental music)....how how about 'Serenade for N. G. Rubinstein's Name-Day'? Jurisprudence March? To just name the tip of the iceburg with him. Hell those piece I listed don't even compare to the even more obscure...

Alan Howe

It's not usung, in my view. ArkvMusic lists 33 (!) recordings of this glorious piece:
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=11958&name_role1=1&genre=154&bcorder=19&comp_id=3208

It's just that PC1 is so ubiquitous, that PC2 suffers by comparison. More somewhat unfamiliar than unsung, I'd say...

CelesteCadenza

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 25 August 2020, 09:54
It's not usung, in my view. ArkvMusic lists 33 (!) recordings of this glorious piece:
I had not realized that  there are quite so many! Though, if one is deducting reissues, the number of individual recorded performances is somewhat lower; the Biret/Tabakov/Bilkent recording alone accounts for 3 of the 33.

Alan Howe

Well, PC2's still not an unsung piece - it's just overshadowed by PC1 (sigh!) It's hardly a secret either...

eschiss1

I would have put the concert fantasy in the somewhat less sung category, or the Andante and Finale edited by Taneyev.

Alan Howe