'Beethoven's World' vol.4: Dussek, Eberl, Eybler & Beethoven

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 17 September 2020, 11:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...forthcoming from Reinhard Goebel on Sony:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/johann-ludwig-dussek-konzert-fuer-2-klaviere-orchester-op-63/hnum/9629925

Dussek: Concerto for 2 Pianos in B flat, Op.63
Eberl: Concerto for 2 Pianos in B flat, Op.45
Eybler: La Follia di Spagna with all the Instruments after Corelli's Violin Sonata Op.5 no.12
Beethoven: Congratulations Minuet for Orchestra WoO 3

Another must-buy for me.

FBerwald

Finally, Eberl's piano concerto played on a real piano and not a sickly period instrument!

TerraEpon

hyperdanny

another must buy for sure..but I want the Eberl symphony!..the video of the performance is on youtube and it is fantastic.

Martin Eastick

Yes, certainly great to have the Eberl concerto without having to suffer the ghastly period instruments used so often with this kind of repertoire. As I have said many times before, it's almost as if the performers acknowledge the music as being of lesser importance so can then justify using "second division" instruments, leaving us as listeners no other option if one wishes to have such recordings in one's collection! Fortunately then, here we have what seems to be superlative performances which benefits the music as it should.

Alan Howe

Quotewith all the Instruments

It's a literal translation of the German; did I read somewhere that the work features a series of instrumental solos?

hyperdanny

Also, it's going to be interesting to get another "La follia di Spagna" after the Salieri Variations on a previous issue (a tremendous orchestral showpiece, BTW)

Alan Howe

Joachim Raff

Listening to the recordings now on my streaming service. First impressions are very good. The only previously Dussek recording that i had heard was on a period instrument arrangement (Alexei Lubimov & Olga Pashchenko & Finnish Baroque Orchestra) . This new version is right up my street, the woodwinds have great clarity and keyboards are on PROPER Pianos as we say in Yorkshire. The Eybler is not as imaginative as the Salieri but is still a cracking version of the Corelli . Of great interest as this a recording premiere. For greater insight into the recordings, compositions and nice pictures of the performers please refer to the link
https://www.highresaudio.com/en/pdfjs?file=https%3A%2F%2Fstorage.highresaudio.com%2F2020%2F10%2F15%2Fhrf3op-beethovens-pdf.pdf

brendangcarroll

Thank you for the positive review.

I am very disappointed that this album is only available in the UK as an Mp3 download from Amazon. Does anyone know of a UK source that is actually selling the CD? I'd be so grateful to know . Thank you.

hyperdanny

As you surely have already checked, Presto has the download only, too. but don't despair yet. I have noticed an interesting pattern:when a release is really new they put the download on sale for first , then the cd eventually comes. This happened to me with a couple of cpo releases ( i remember Mayer 1&2) _ for quite some time it was download only, then, shortly after the official release date, they displayed the cd.
In any case you could get it from jpc, or one of the other European Amazons, their postage fees are honest (NOT from the US one, though: most, if not all, Sony releases in the classical and soundtracks departments are now cd-R)

brendangcarroll