News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

LPs

Started by Santo Neuenwelt, Saturday 12 September 2020, 16:33

Previous topic - Next topic

kolaboy

Personally, I'm for bringing back lamplighters. Especially if they've hung onto their lp collections.

Alan Howe

What's the LP equivalent of CD coasters?

kolaboy

I've seen lps made into clocks and sold on ebay. No idea who would buy such a thing.

Alan Howe

Someone who knows time is up for lps?  ;)

Gareth Vaughan

I am told that, if you can be bothered, you can mould them into flowerpots!!

Justin

LPs replicate the original sound wave, while CDs can't. So while LPs are fully reproducing the sound that you would have heard in the studio/hall, the pops and crackles detract from any of those advantages. And CDs/digital downloads are becoming more advanced all the time, so you can't really notice.

Alan Howe

QuoteSo while LPs are fully reproducing the sound that you would have heard in the studio/hall

In theory only. The whole audio reproduction system, involving physical contact between stylus and groove, surely makes that impossible. In addition, once played, the condition of LPs can only deteriorate.

Justin

And most masters made today are digital, so new LP releases are not even analog.

matesic

Treated with reasonable care and in spite of occasional mild abuse LPs can have extraordinary longevity. My most precious purchase in 1967 was the DG/Jochum set of Bruckner symphonies. For the first few months I only had a mono autochanger with a rigid stylus to play them with, but they somehow survived this and most remain clear and crackle-free to this day.

Alan Howe

Ah! Original top-notch DG pressings, perhaps. Very much the exception, even in those days.

dhibbard

I have only experienced the issue with the ASV CDs that were reissued by ASV.    They were very helpful  in that they replaced all my CDs that I owned.   As you may remember, they turned brown after a period of time due to a flaw in the manufacturing process... it was not long after that they filed for bankruptcy..

kolaboy

The only label I've had defective cd issues with is Bongiovanni.  No luck contacting them, either.

Mark Thomas

But we were talking about LPs, not CDs.

kolaboy

I have a defective Bongiovanni ALBUM as well. (Spontini Overtures).