Danish works for violin and orchestra

Started by Martin Eastick, Friday 30 October 2020, 18:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

This new Dacapo release consisting of (mainly) Danish works for violin and orchestra caught my attention. Most of these shorter works would appear to be first recordings and surely will be most welcome. I can't see why, though, the need to include the Norwegian Svendsen's ubiquitous Romance, which does not need further introduction despite its obvious attraction! The rest, however, should prove to be of considerable interest - the only other works previously recorded are Gade's Capriccio, and although Lange Muller's Romance Op63 appeared on a Kontrapunkt CD with piano accompaniment, I'm fairly sure the orchestral recording is a 'first'! https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/romance/hnum/10322211

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Lange Müller's violin concerto is also a good reason for me to look forward to the Romance. (For the score of the Romance, see IMSLP.

hyperdanny

Lange Muller's concerto is really lovely..I bought it on a whim because I liked the symphonies (especially the "autumn ") and it's become sort of a mini staple in my listening sessions.
I'm usually all for dramatic and stormy music, but there is something about LM's quite peculiar brand of gentle, somewhat melancholic "Nordic pastoralism" that strikes a chord.

Ilja

Martin, Svensen spent the last thirty years of his life in  Copenhagen, so that might explain the choice. In addition, as principal conductor of the Royal Theatre Orchestra, he conducted the premiere of Lange-Müller's concerto in1904 (IIRC).

Martin Eastick

Thanks for that information, Ilja - that would give some excuse for including the Svendsen, which I have nothing against whatsoever! I also expect that it may have been quite difficult to find other more appropriate material to complete the programme in any case! Nevertheless, I have no complaints and look forward to acquiring the CD soon!

Ilja

Well, seeing that Kai Laursen recorded ten discs with Danish repertoire for violin and orchestra (overwhelmingly romantic stuff), I rather suspect there's no lack of material...

eschiss1

ah. Ok, according to Wikipedia, after travelling through Europe and even to New York City (where he married his wife, who he met in Paris), he was appointed principal conductor @ Copenhagen in 1883 (aged 42 or 43) "where he lived until his death" (in 1911). (He and his wife, however, separated in 1884.) (Biography and history are neat...)

eschiss1

Agreed, not -impossibly- difficult; I could make suggestions for a volume 2 (is Helsted's Romance for violin and orchestra recorded?) :) (never mind, I see the answer is yes- in Bellincampi's series "Harmonious Families", volume 5 (4.5 minutes...). Still, so are some of the works on volume 1; and there are other works, even staying within the born 1817-to died 1939 range of this album, of course.)