Raff's Dame Kobold in Regensburg

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 31 October 2020, 22:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Last weekend Raff's third opera, the comedy Dame Kobold, had its first performance in around 150 years in a production in Regensburg, Germany. It was a Covid-reduced affair with no chorus and a cut-down orchestra which unfortunately, under the current restrictions, I wasn't able to travel to see, but I'm told by those that could that it was very well received. Here's a review (in German) which confirms that. You can get a brief taste of this sparkling piece from this trailer produced by the opera house. There are plans for a full-scale production in Giessen next year (but of course these may also be affected by Covid restrictions) and the prospect, tentative at this stage, of a recording later in the year, which would be an equally exciting development.

Gareth Vaughan

The "trailer" is marvellous. What glorious music! I do REALLY, REALLY, hope there will be a recording of what sounds to be a most delicious work. Not that I am surprised. Raff, as we know, had no difficulty writing tunes - but what is also encouraging from the trailer: the production appears to be sensitive and intelligent (two adjectives that cannot always be used to describe some of today's opera productions).

Alan Howe

Delicious is certainly the word for this music. Some lovely singing too. Oh for a recording....

Gareth Vaughan

Yes. I forgot to mention the singing. I do so agree, Alan - some fine singing here: character and finesse.

Mark Thomas

I agree on all counts, needless to say, so you'll appreciate my frustration that I had to cancel my plans to be in Regensburg to see the production. As regards a recording, I'm sorry I can't be any more specific but matters are at a very early stage. However, early indications are that there's at least a reasonable chance of one being made next year, although whether it would be with the Regensburg singers I just don't know. Time will tell, and as soon as it does I'll post the news here of course.

Alan Howe

All I'll say is - if possible, use these singers!!

Mark Thomas

Understood, and I agree, but this isn't my project and so all I can do is suggest - which I have.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan