New recording - Thalberg L'Art du chant

Started by Jonathan, Sunday 08 November 2020, 08:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

I found out yesterday that the superb pianist Paul Wee has recorded Thalberg's complete L'Art du chant for BIS. I've already ordered it!

Alan Howe

Not my cup of tea at all, but I'll wager it's superbly done.

Martin Eastick

I ordered a copy immediately after trying several of the extracts - even though I already have Mordecai Shehori's recording. This new one seems to be the definitive, and there are also the extras including the 3 Schubert Lieder transcriptions Op79a!

Jonathan

I can report this is a magnificent CD. The playing is superb throughout and the music is excellent. Very glad I bought the disc. Thoroughly recommended!

dmitterd

I concur, it is a superb disc - Wee is definitely one to watch! His Alkan disc from earlier this year is also highly recommended.

cheers,
Daniel

semloh

I've never been a fan of Thalberg but this disc receives a very positive review in the current Gramophone Magazine. It concludes:
Wee has shown in this beautifully recorded release that Thalberg is a far more important composer for the
piano than current opinion would have it

TerraEpon

This is a very nice disc....but being just arrangements it kinda doesn't feel, mmmm....nessesary? I guess since i have so many arrangements already.