News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Who was F. E. Vanderbeck?

Started by ErlingI, Sunday 08 November 2020, 22:31

Previous topic - Next topic

ErlingI

Hi. I wonder if anyone knows who the composer of the well known piano-piece Edelweiss is.
(I have published the composition on MuseScore web site: https://musescore.com/user/26911315/scores/6438719 ).

I do find a couple of composition related to him/her?
Cascatelle waltz (1883) and a composition: Echo dell, a polka by a Miss Frankie E. Vanderbeck (1878).
But where and when he/she/they lived is difficult to trace. Perhaps someone knows?

Some (speculative) clues?
In 1865 a Vanderbeck family had a Musical matinée in  Bolougne, France.
"Miss E. Vanderbeck played very pleasant solo on the piano.
And a nice vocal duet from the two sisters...."
(A Vanderbeck family also performed in Paris in the 1860s)
In the 1860s a female singer, Vanderbeck, was at the Italian opera house in Paris.
The singer Virgine Vanderbeck, died (in Milan, Italy) in 1874.

Based on the scores, it seems though as the composer(s) lived in USA, at least at the time of publishing.
Anyone?

ErlingI

************************************************************************************

Some (speculative still!) update on the "Vanderbeck-question":
As for the "French clue" (which might not be the right one), there were 4  "Vanderbeck-sisters": soprano, contralto, harpist and pianist.
Paris 1864: "They would form a charming quartet of distinguished artist"
Paris 1865: Sidonie Vanderbeck (Contralto) works at the Italian Opera house in Paris.

However:
The three "Vanderbeck-scores" I have found: "Edelweiss", "Cascatelle waltz" and "Echo Polka" were published in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.

1878: Echo Dell Polka: published by W. H. Boner, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
(Composed by Miss Frankie E. Vanderbeck).

1878: Edelweiss Glide waltz: published by F. A. North, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
(Composed by F. E. Vanderbeck)

1883: Cascatella waltz: published by F. A. North, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
(Composed by F. E. Vanderbeck) (see https://musescore.com/user/26911315/scores/6488302 )

William Henry Boner (1840 – 1913) was a music publisher in Philadelphia from 1865 – 1900) and
Francis A. North published music in Philadelphia until 1890 when Oliver Ditson bought the stock.

In Philadelphia there is a woman "Frances E. Vanderbeck" (1852 – 1910), married Merrill sometime in the 1880s.
(They had a daughter, Louise, 1888 – 1972)

Her profession is "Music Teacher" in 1880.  In 1900, she is a widow, and she died in 1910 (mentioned as artist).
Perhaps she is the composer.

Moreover, a bit more "confusion?" - Back to Paris 1915:
A comedy, "Madame Vanderbeck's Polka" (!), by Raphael Adam and Leon Huret is performed (42 times!) in Paris.
It is about Mdm. Vanderbeck, a female composer (!) working at the opera house in Milan (!)
Perhaps someone can verify or "rule out" these speculations?

ErlingI

Some other "findings" in "my Vanderbeck case":
(Earlier mentioned: In 1865 a Sidonie Vanderbeck is working at the Italian Opera house in Paris)
1871, Bromley/Kent England:
A Sidonie Vanderbeck (ca 1845) is listed as boarder together with a sister, Celestine Vanderbeck (ca 1835), and their mother Francisco Vanderbeck (ca 1809). Their mother (widow) is born in Belgium, the sisters in Holland. Both sisters are listed as "Musicians in Holland".
Perhaps this is two of the four "Vanderbeck sisters"?

ErlingI

I have published a score, Echo-Dell polka, at the same time writing the "answer' to who F. Vanderbeck was. See: https://musescore.com/user/26911315/scores/7454696

Ilja

An interesting bit of sleuthing. Thanks!